College Transfer Track

College Transfer students are students who plan to transfer to another school after Cape Fear.

NOTE:  All applicants (with the exception of Career and College Promise applicants) must complete a Residency Determination request to determine your tuition status (in state or out of state) prior to completing and submitting an Admissions application.  Documentation may be required during this process.  Click Tips for Completing Your Residency Determination for a list of information that may be required to submit the Residency Determination.  Please have this information on hand prior to starting your Residency Determination.


Follow these simple steps to start your Admission process for CFCC if you plan to transfer to a four-year college after you complete your studies at CFCC:

1) Complete your Residency Application.

  • You must complete a residency application to determine your tuition status.
  • When you complete the residency application, you will get a 10-digit number called RCN (Residency Certification Number).
  • Write it down.
  • Enter your RCN on the Admissions application in the field where it asks for your RCN.

2) Apply for Admission

  • Current Programs of Study within the College Transfer Track
    • Remember, this is your CFCC major, not the major you wish to complete at the University
    • Transfer majors are Associates in Arts, Associates in Science, and Associates in Fine Arts
  • Submit your online application at least 2 weeks prior to registration

3) Submit official transcripts from high school/high school equivalency. College transcripts may be required.

  • Official transcripts are those in the sealed envelope from the awarding institution or electronically delivered via an approved third party vendor.  Official transcripts of undergraduate coursework from regionally accredited institutions are required for transfer credit, eligibility for veterans’ benefits, placement test waivers, and health science applicants. Graduate and post-graduate level transcripts are not required. Transcripts should be sent immediately after applying to the College but no later than 2 weeks prior to registration. TranscriptRequestOtherSchools.docx NOTE: If you are transferring more than 14 semester hours of credit from an out-of-state school, you may not be eligible for the North Carolina Community College Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), which may affect your transfer to a 4-year university in North Carolina.  Contact a counselor at with questions.
  • High school transcripts must have the graduation date posted. NC GED transcripts may be ordered here.
  • Foreign high school transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an accredited agency to verify their equivalency to a US high school diploma
  • Foreign college transcripts must be translated and evaluated course-by-course by an accredited agency to determine if courses are comparable in credit hour and content to US credit/content.  NOTE:  If you do not want transfer credit, evaluations are not necessary.  Submit an original copy of your transcript to the Admissions office
  • A home school student must submit the home school’s approved registration card from the state in which the school is registered
  • Mailing Address
Cape Fear Community College
Attention Admission Office
411 N. Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401

4) Take the Placement Test

  • A North Carolina high school graduation date less than 5 years old with an unweighted GPA of 2.6 or higher and the successful completion of specific math coursework will waive placement testing (beginning Fall 2016)

5) Set up your CFCC student account

  • Log into the portal with your username and student ID.  These will be mailed to you shortly after we receive your Admissions application
  • Create a password for your account
  • Check your email daily for important information and alerts

 6) Apply for Financial Aid

  • Log into the website and complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
  • Check your CFCC student email for notifications

 7) Attend New Student Orientation/Registration

  • Mandatory orientation sessions are held in July and December for new students by invitation only
  • Returning students may view an online orientation presentation
  • Register and pay for classes during the Orientation session