Tips for Residency Classification
TIPS FOR COMPLETING YOUR RESIDENCY DETERMINATION
You are now required to complete the new North Carolina residency determination request prior to completing and submitting your application. Here are some tips for completing your residency request:
- The average interview takes 10-12 minutes to complete. Information about data and documentation you may need to gather before starting the interview is included on the next page.
- You may need a flash drive to upload your supporting documentation if you are applying anywhere outside of your home computer.
- Do NOT use your browser Back and Forward navigation arrows. Use only the Continue or Make Changes buttons on the interview page. You will be able to review and make changes to the information you enter.
- You may exit your residency request and resume later. The information you enter will be saved after each section you complete. You have 25 days to complete your request. If you do not complete your request within 25 days, you will be required to begin a new request. Please note: this includes submitting any follow-up documentation required by RDS.
- If you have already completed the residency determination for another college, you will not have to complete the request again. You will just need to enter your Residency Certification Number (RCN) when prompted.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding the residency determination, you will need to call the RDS help line at 844-319-3640 or email them at email@example.com. As residency is now determined at the state level by RDS, we at Cape Fear Community College are very limited in the information we can assist you with in submitting your application.
The listing below reflects information and documentation that may be requested during and at the end of your RDS online interview request. This listing is not all-inclusive nor will every applicant be required to submit the information.
- Student and parent unique identifier such as a social security number, individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), alien registration number (ARN/A-number), or US Citizenship and Immigration Service number (CIS)
- Parent and/or student vehicle registration
- Parent and/or student driver’s license
- Parent and/or student federal and state tax returns
- Rental/lease agreement
- Active Duty Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
- Veterans Education Certificate of Eligibility for Chapters 30 and 33 benefits
- DD-214 for discharged veterans
- Marriage certificate
- Permanent Resident Card
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with approved Category code
- I-485 receipt notice
- Approved I-130/140/360
- Federal tax form to confirm dependent status for parent with approved I-140 /I-130
- Immigration Court order
- I-797 Notice of Approval from USCIS
- Conditional Green Card
- I-751 conditional Green Card extension
- VISA stamped document
- I-94 stamped document (travel document)
- I-90 application to renew permanent resident card
Additional contact information for RDS:
Toll Free (844) 319-3640
Local (919) 835-2290
Fax (919) 835-2427