Cape Fear Community College

College Transfer


The Advisement Period

(For currently enrolled students only! Contact your advisor!)


Fall 2013 Second Mini Session Registration
Oct. 14, 2013

Spring 2014 Advisement Period

(currently enrolled students ONLY)

Oct. 21 - Nov. 1, 2013

Spring 2014 WEB Registration

(currently enrolled students ONLY)

Oct. 21, 2013
Spring 2014 Final Registration
Jan. 2, 2014

Spring 2014 Final Adjustment Day

Jan. 3, 2014
Spring 2014 Second Mini Session Registration
Mar. 6, 2014

Summer/Fall 2014 Advisement Period

(currently enrolled students ONLY)

Apr. 7-25, 2014

Summer/Fall 2014 WEB Registration

(currently enrolled students ONLY)

Apr. 7, 2014
Summer 2014 Final Registration/Adjustment
May 19, 2014
Summer 2014 Second Mini Session Final Registration
June 24, 2014


While advising is an ongoing academic process at CFCC, the Advisement Period is a three-week period in which the college highlights this process. All currently enrolled students should meet with their advisors. If you are returning to CFCC in the fall, register using web registration (WebAdvisor), pay your tuition on time, and avoid the long lines during regular registration and the headache of dropping and adding classes or sitting in front of an advisor for 20 minutes.

How does the college prepare for this activity? The Student Development staff will assign you an advisor in your program and e-mail your advising/registration information to you via CampusCruiser (Sometimes students do not receive this correspondence because their addresses are incorrect.). Keep yourself informed: always check the school calendar in your catalog/handbook for the dates of the Advisement Period. In addition, college transfer advisors will post their advising schedules on their office doors or windows, review student records, and assist each advisee in developing and realizing his/her educational plans, plans that are consistent with the advisee's academic abilities and career goals. Advisors may help you understand school policies and procedures; increase your awareness of campus resources; understand the program requirements and the benefits of an associate degree; identify and assess the alternatives of a degree and the consequences ; and select the appropriate courses.

Your responsibilities as an advisee are listed below (reprinted/modified with permission from Ms. Vivian Boykin, Director of Counseling at CFCC):

  1. To obtain and read copies of the catalog and student handbook, especially the sections on college transfer (request a hard copy from the Office of Admissions--Room A220, the Downtown Campus, or Room 100A, the North Campus--or access the online copy at
  2. To be knowledgeable about academic standards, policies, and procedures, as well as to be familiar with the general education core, the electives, and course prerequisites/corequisites (listed in the catalog/handbook and in the online advising section.) Become familiar with your program requirements to the extent that you can self-advise. Demonstrate your self-advising skills by filling out the curriculum worksheet for your program and letting your advisor review the worksheet.
  3. To become familiar with the transfer requirements of the institution to which transfer is desired. If you plan to obtain less than the general education core, the 44 semester hours, check the transfer equivalencies of the respective institution. Reminder: Without the core, some classes may transfer as electives only or may not transfer at all. Access the UNC Course Equivalencies.
  4. To make and keep all appointments with your advisor. Be on time and call your advisor if you must cancel your appointment.
  5. To share with your advisor the responsibility of making sure that all registration forms are filled out properly and completely. Your advisor will review your course selection, answer your questions, and advise you on the best course of action based on the information in hand.  Keep all correspondence from your advisor!
  6. To be familiar with drop, add, and withdrawal policies of the college as stated in the catalog and obtain an advisor's signature or approval on the appropriate form(s) when dropping or adding a class.
  7. To be aware of the possible loss of credits if you change majors and/or schools. If you plan to change your program of study, meet with a CFCC counselor two months before the Advisement Period and fill out the necessary form in the Student Development Office. Your transcript must be re-evaluated, and you may be assigned a new advisor.
  8. To accept the responsibility of registering for, attending, and completing classes.
  9. To pay your tuition on time.

Minimum Course Requirements (MCR) and Statewide Comprehensive Articulation Agreement


Have you heard about MCR?

"MCR" stands for "minimum course requirements." To enroll in a senior institution in the University of North Carolina (UNC) System, students whose high school class graduated in 1990 or beyond must have completed the following high school requirements:


  • Four (4) units of English (emphasizing grammar, composition, and literature)
  • Two (2) units of a language other then English
  • Three (3) units of mathematics in Algebra I and II and geometry; or Algebra I and II and one unit beyond Algebra II; or Integrated Math I, II, and III
  • Two (2) units of social studies (including one unit of US history). An applicant who does not have the unit in US history may be admitted on the condition that at least three semester hours in that subject will be passed by the end of the sophomore year.
  • Three (3) units of science (including a unit of life or biological science, a unit of physical science, and at least one laboratory course).

Students deficient in one or more of the areas above are considered to be deficient in MCR and must remove this deficiency by 1.) obtaining an associate in arts degree, an associate in science degree, an associate in fine arts degree; or 2.) completing the 44-hour general education core; or 3.) the 6-6-6-6-6 below:

  • Six (6) semester hours of freshman composition
  • Six (6) semester hours of a foreign language sequence
  • Six (6) semester hours of college-level mathematics (must have an M-A-T prefix)
  • Six (6) semester hours of natural sciences
  • Six (6) semester hours of social and behavioral sciences

If you take the 66666, check with the receiving institution and take courses that are equivalent to the basic studies requirements of that institution. For example, UNC-Wilmington requires one biological science and one physical science, so students should take the equivalent courses.


Have you heard about the Statewide Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA)?

To make it easier for students to transfer from the North Carolina Community College System to the institutions in the University of North Carolina System, the North Carolina General Assembly mandated the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), effective Fall of 1997.  Only three degrees are included in this agreement:  the associate in arts, the associate in science, and the associate in fine arts.  The agreement standardizes the titles, prefixes, course numbers and course descriptions of all the courses taught in the North Carolina Community College System and assures that students will transfer as juniors to one of the 16 UNC institutions if students meet the following criteria:

  • Earn an associate in arts or science degree (NOT an associate in applied science degree)
  • Earn a grade of "C" or better in all CAA courses
  • Earn an overall grade-point average of a "C" or 2.0
  • Obtain acceptance at a UNC institution

This agreement does not guarantee admission to a UNC institution.  Admission is a competitive process; but if you complete the above requirements, 64 semester hours will transfer.  If you do not obtain the degree, obtain at least the general education core, 44 semester hours, and meet the second, third and fourth criteria above.  The entire core will transfer.

Students who complete the Associate in Fine Arts degree must still meet the general education core of the receiving institution.

What happens if you obtain less than the general education core (44 semester hours)?

You are no longer protected by the Statewide Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.  Since, you will not receive certain assurances, you will be subject to the basic studies requirements of the receiving institution.  In addition, some courses may transfer as electives only or may not transfer at all.



Have you heard about CFCC's local agreement with UNC-Wilmington (UNCW)?

If you would like to be assured of acceptance at UNCW, meet the following criteria:


  • Obtain an associate in arts or science degree
  • Earn a grade of "C" or better in each transferable or CAA course
  • Earn an overall grade-point average of a "B" or a 3.0 (based on CFCC's calculation)
  • Complete the admissions process at UNCW

One foreign language course is required under this agreement.  The course may be taken at CFCC or UNCW.  Sixty-four (64) semester hours are guaranteed to transfer.

Ideally, students should take the core classes first and the electives second.  Students will have a better chance of getting the classes they want/need if they register early each semester. 

Space at UNCW is very limited at UNCW in the spring; students are advised to complete their associate degree or at least the 44-hour core and transfer in the summer or the fall.  Students should always contact a counselor at a senior institution early and request the counselor to help plan the student's course of study at CFCC.