It’s that time of the semester when you should be preparing your Spring 2011 courses. Below are a few reminders and tips:
- Use Course Copy to copy previous courses into your new course shell.
- Please make sure you do not copy items more than once.
- Make sure you include an Enrollment Verification discussion thread, which will be used to verify a student’s participation by the census date.
- Take a look at the Course Essentials Checklist and rubric to ensure that your courses meet these standards. The Department of Distance Learning offers an online resource for this, Best Practices for Teaching Online, and Course Essentials workshops to help you apply these standards. See Module 4 in the Bb101 course in Blackboard for instructions on self-enrolling in the Best Practices course. Refer to the DL Training Schedule for upcoming workshops.
- Remove all discussion posts by students from the previous semester.
- Remove old announcements.
- Check the Grade Center to ensure that all graded items are included.
- Check links in the course to ensure that they work properly (includes internal and external links).
- Review content for validity.
- Build into your course reminders to students about the Blackboard Student Tutorial and Distance Learning Basics manual.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Department of Distance Learning if you have questions or need assistance.