Excellence in Teaching Award
The Marilyn Goodman Anderson Endowed Award for Excellence in Teaching is awarded annually to an outstandingÂ faculty member at CFCC.Â This prestigious award recognizes all aspects of excellence in teaching that foster students’ lifelong learning and success.
Nominees must be current faculty members who have taught at least three years at CFCC.Â Nominees may be part-time or full-time, and instructors in all departments of the College are eligible for the recognition.Â The recipient of the award will be recognized at CFCC’s AugustÂ In-Service.Â The recipient willÂ receive a medallion to wear at official ceremonies and a one-time stipend of $2,000.
Nominations for the Marilyn Goodman Award have closed for 2014. Stay tuned for an announcement about the recipient in August!
Criteria for Nomination and Selection
The following aspects of teaching at Cape Fear Community College should be considered in the nomination and selection process:
- Significant, positive impact on studentsâ€™ lives.
- Teaching philosophy.
- Mastery of subject.
- Student perceptions of teaching.
Nominees who choose to be considered must submit a portfolio of their material for review by the selection committee.Â The portfolio should encompass material relevant to the â€œCriteria for Nomination and Selection.â€Â To facilitate the review process, the material must be presented in the following order and include:
- A copy of the nomineeâ€™s resume or curriculum vitae.
- A written statement of teaching philosophy and methodology in the classroom.
- A copy of one representative syllabus and other relevant course material.
- An official summary of student ratings of courses that have been evaluated over the previous two years.Â This should be submitted to the Foundation from a nomineeâ€™s respective department chair.
- Materials supporting classroom effectiveness.
If you have any questions, please callÂ the Foundation Office at 910.362.7207.Â Thank you.
Congratulations to previous Marilyn Goodman Anderson Award for Excellence in Teaching recipients!
- Denise Hightower, Medical Office Administration Instructor, 2013
- Stacey Tatum, Spanish Instructor, 2012
- Phil “Dr. Rocks” Garwood, Geology Instructor, 2011
- Jerry Duncan, Criminal Justice, 2010
- Steve Beuth, Marine Technology, 2009
- Joy Smoots, Biology Instructor, 2008
- Jenna Call, English Instructor, 2007
- Ben Billingsley, Art Instructor, 2006
- David Fourqurean, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2005
- Robert Sutton, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2004
- Karen Brown, Communication Instructor, 2003
- Cheryl Saba, English Instructor, 2002