Excellence in Teaching Award
The Marilyn Goodman Anderson Endowed Award for Excellence in Teaching is awarded annually to an outstanding faculty member at CFCC. This prestigious award recognizes all aspects of excellence in teaching that foster students’ lifelong learning and success.
Nominees must be current faculty members who have taught at least three years at CFCC. Nominees may be part-time or full-time, and instructors in all departments of the College are eligible for the recognition. The recipient of the award will be recognized at CFCC’s August In-Service. The recipient will receive a medallion to wear at official ceremonies and a one-time stipend of $2,000.
Congratulations to previous Marilyn Goodman Anderson Award for Excellence in Teaching recipients!
Steve Beuth, Marine Technology, 2009
Joy Smoots, Biology Instructor, 2008
Jenna Call, English Instructor, 2007
Ben Billingsley, Art Instructor, 2006
David Fourqurean, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2005
Robert Sutton, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2004
Karen Brown, Communication Instructor, 2003
Cheryl Saba, English Instructor, 2002
Criteria for Nomination and Selection
The following aspects of teaching at Cape Fear Community College should be considered in the nomination and selection process:
- Significant, positive impact on students’ lives.
- Teaching philosophy.
- Mastery of subject.
- Student perceptions of teaching.
Submit an Online Nomination
Nominees who choose to be considered must submit a portfolio of their material for review by the selection committee. The portfolio should encompass material relevant to the “Criteria for Nomination and Selection.” To facilitate the review process, the material must be presented in the following order and include:
- A copy of the nominee’s resume or curriculum vitae.
- A written statement of teaching philosophy and methodology in the classroom.
- A copy of one representative syllabus and other relevant course material.
- An official summary of student ratings of courses that have been evaluated over the previous two years. This should be submitted to the Foundation from a nominee’s respective department chair.
- Materials supporting classroom effectiveness.
If you have any questions, please call the Foundation Office at 910.362.7207. Thank you.