Mobile Site 2010: Library In The Pocket.

First of all Kudos to you if you get the Mobile Suit Gundam reference. (Yeah, Yeah, I know. I’m a nerd)

The CFCC library is taking a foray into the realm of mobile web pages and I’m going along for the ride. I started by attending (along side Catherine Lee and Melissa Raymer) a webinar presented by David Woodbury, Libraries Fellow and Jason Casden, Digital Technologies Development Librarian at North Carolina State University.

Then CFCC Library staff and I had a sit down meeting, hashed out a plan, and identified core features to include in a mobile library site of our very own.

Of course I feel like sharing and I’ve got mock ups to show off.

First a couple of rough wireframes.

The idea is to not overload the siet with content. Present just core features so the site is light and agile.

The idea is to not overload the site with content. Present just core features so the site is light and agile.

Now for the main event. The Photoshop Renders!

From a usability standpoint the layout is the best. The listed buttons are better at adapting to the various screen size and orientations this sirte might encounter.

From a usability standpoint this layout is the best. The listed buttons will be better at adapting to the various screen sizes and orientations found on the umpteen-million mobile devices out there.

And….

Ah iPhone-ish icon on a grid layout. The arrangement of the button elements may not be as well suited for getting the site to work across various mobile devices. But, the buttons are flashy and the layout is not cramped.

Ah, the iPhone-ish icon on a grid layout. The arrangement of the button elements may not be as well suited for getting the site to work across various mobile devices. But, the buttons are flashy and the layout is not as cramped.

That’s all for now folks. Your going to have a wait a while longer to see final designs and a working test site. Don’t worry I won’t keep you waiting for long.

Ciao.