Cape Fear Community College has awarded merit scholarships to ten deserving students for the 2010-11 academic year.Â As recipients of the CFCC Merit Scholarship, the selected students have been honored for their record of academic excellence, leadership and service to others throughout high school.Â Â
To qualify for a merit scholarship, a student must be an area high school senior and have proof of academic potential shown by grades, class rank and/or aptitude test results.Â Consideration is also given to extracurricular activities, work record and community service.Â This award indicates great confidence in studentsâ€™ abilities to excel in a college setting as they pursue their educational goals.
The following students were selected from Pender and New Hanover County high schools:
- Ashley High School:Â Sara Gross from Wilmington, NC.
- Coastal Christian High School:Â Hannah Matthews from Wilmington, NC.
- Laney High School:Â Ashlee Wagner and Jim Ton from Wilmington, NC.
- New Hanover High School:Â Benjamin Jones and Lex Tolan from Wilmington, NC; Calvin Rowell from Castle Hayne, NC.
- Pender High School:Â Tiffany Pigford from Burgaw, NC.
- Topsail High School:Â Marissa Citarelli from Hampstead, NC.
- Trask High School:Â Miranda Lewis from Rocky Point, NC.
Merit scholars receive $900 each semester, which covers the majority of the costs for tuition, fees, and books. Â Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average and complete at least twelve credit hours each semester to remain eligible for the scholarship.
For more information about CFCC, the Foundation, endowments or scholarship opportunities, please contact the Foundation at (910) 362-7207.Â Â