High Energy: A Celebration

Ann Parks McCray lives and works in Wilmington, North Carolina, where the area’s natural beauty inspires her abstract naturescapes. Many pieces express the essence of sky, sea, and a dense lushness of trees. A wide-ranging palette with generous paint produces an energetic textured feel. These renditions are interpretations, moments in time, impressions of seasons and locations. Many over-sized paintings are suited to large airy spaces where light and distance combine to emphasize a sense of freedom in the work.

Marrying beauty with function to harmonize space is a personal goal for this artist. She believes that one’s visual experience is psychologically and emotionally significant to a positive life experience. McCray notices that art inspires and comforts, heals and rejuvenates—that the human heart rests in beauty. Convinced that art is meant to work as well as please, her pieces are placed in healing spaces in Texas, Ohio, North Carolina, and Montana.

An intuitive painter, she explains her process: “I begin a piece without defined intention; I wait for a composition to emerge. I listen to music, work quickly, choose colors and utensils by feel. Beginning with a brush, I often incorporate spatula or wooden brush handles. I turn the canvas, so a finished piece has been worked from a number of directions. I study each painting in a full-wall mirror—in its reversed reflection—for hints of additions or revisions. This technique helps me merge further with the work.”

McCray studied art at Amarillo College in Texas. She began a professional art career 25 years ago, creating large hand-built nonfunctional stoneware pieces. As a potter, one of her favorite aspects was glazing—applying abstract designs to clay. Eventually, she turned full attention to painting on canvas.  She works primarily in oils. She is represented by Cortile Gallery in Provincetown, MA, and in North Carolina by Red Sky Gallery in Charlotte, Sunset River

Gallery is open by appointment.

A public reception will be held for the artist on Friday, September 27th.