Adult High School Program
Located on the 1st floor of the McLeod (S) Building
The Adult High School Program is designed for adults whose academic skills are at 9th grade level or above and have not completed their high school diploma.
The AHS diploma is recognized by colleges and universities throughout the nation and is the equivalent to any public or private high school diploma.
AHS Graduation Requirements – To graduate from AHS a student must have 22 credits. Graduates will receive an ADULT HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA issued by Cape Fear Community College and the New Hanover or Pender County Board of Education.
To enroll in AHS classes:
1. Attend an AHS Registration( 2016 AHS Registration Schedule):
All students must bring:
a. Photo ID with birth date and signature
b. Social Security card
16 and 17 year old students must also bring:
b. Parent or legal guardian must attend registration with the student
c. Official school withdrawal form from last school district attended:
*Pender County students must have their withdrawal form signed by their school officials and the Pender County Superintendent/Designee located at Pender County Board of Education.
*All other students must have their withdrawal form signed by their county or district superintendent.
2. Attend Corresponding Orientation Dates 2016 AHS Registration Schedule
3. Pass the entrance tests in reading and math
AHS classes are offered at Cape Fear Community College’s Wilmington Campus and the Burgaw Campus (100 E. Industrial Drive, Burgaw)
AHS Graduation Requirements
- 4 English Credits
- 4 Math Credits (Foundations of Algebra, Algebra I, Foundations of Geometry, Geometry)
- 3 Science Credits (Earth Science, Biology, and Physical Science)
- 4 Social Studies Credits (World History, US History Part 1, US History Part 2, and Civics)
- 1 Health and PE Credit
- 6 Elective Credits
There is no cost to students for classes or books.
Odysseyware Online Adult High School Classes
Online AHS classes are available. Interested students must attend a registration and orientation. Call (910)362-7182 for more information.
For current students or graduates – to request an official AHS transcript:
1. Complete the AHS Transcript Request Form
2. Follow the directions on the form for paying the required transcript fee
3. Please allow 48 hours for processing
For more information call (910) 362-7182 or (910) 362-7290 or visit the AHS office in S-116.
Once graduated, students must pick up their diplomas in person from the AHS office in S-116. If you have recently graduated in the following months your diplomas are ready for pick up: April 2016, February 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011.