Adult High School Program
Located on the 1st floor of the McLeod (S) Building
The Adult High School Program is designed for adults whose academic skills are at 9th grade level or above and have not completed their high school diploma.
The AHS diploma is recognized by colleges and universities throughout the nation and is the equivalent to any public or private high school diploma.
AHS Graduation Requirements – To graduate from AHS a student must have 21 credits. Graduates will receive an ADULT HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA issued by Cape Fear Community College and the New Hanover or Pender County Board of Education.
To enroll in AHS classes:
1. Attend an AHS Registration (schedule):
Bring required documentation to registration:
• Photo identification with birthdate
• Social Security Card
• Official high school transcript in a sealed envelope
If 16 or 17, you must also bring:
- Official school withdrawal form for Pender County
- Official school withdrawal form for New Hanover County
- Official school withdrawal form for schools outside of New Hanover and Pender Counties *Please note New Hanover County Students must have their withdrawal signed by their school official and the New Hanover County Superintendent Designee located at Mosley Performance Learning Center.
- Notarized Parental Consent Form Parent or Legal Guardian must attend registration with the student
2. Attend Corresponding Orientation Dates
3. Pass the entrance tests in reading and math
AHS classes are offered at Cape Fear Community College’s Wilmington Campus and the Burgaw Campus (100 E. Industrial Drive, Burgaw) There is no cost to students for classes or books.
AHS Graduation Requirements
• 4 English Credits
• 4 Math Credits (Foundations of Algebra, Algebra, Foundations Geometry, Geometry)
• 3 Science Credits (Earth Science, Biology, and Physical Science)
• 3 Social Studies Credits (World History, US History and Civics)
• 1 Health and PE Credit
• 6 Elective Credits
AHS Online (APEX)
Are you interested in taking online classes?
Upcoming Online Class Registrations: For Current Students Only
- May 3rd 2013*
- July 19th 2013 *
* Room and time will be noted on students' schedules
Current AHS students are highly encouraged to pre-register for online classes by visiting S116 or calling 362-7182 before the registration date. Walk-ins are welcomed, but pre-registered students will be processed first.
New students must first be registered for the AHS program by attending an AHS registration and orientation. (schedule)
For current students or graduates – to request an official AHS transcript:
1. Complete the AHS Transcript Request Form
2. Follow the directions on the form for paying the required transcript fee
3. Please allow 48 hours for processing
For more information call (910) 362-7182 or (910) 362-7290 or visit the AHS office in S-116.
Once graduated, students must pick up their diplomas in person from the AHS office in S-116.
If you recently graduated in the following months your diplomas are ready for pick up: June 2013, May 2013, March 2013, 2012, 2011