Sign Language Interpreting Services
- Deaf and/or hard of hearing students who require interpreting services, amplification support and/or accommodations should contact Maria Ortado, Interpreter Coordinator, in room U218, 910-362-7098. NC Relay Service for Video Phone or TTY: Dial 7-1-1.
- Students working with the N.C. Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services are encouraged to inform DSS to enable coordination of services.
- Students requesting services should provide CFCC with documentation of their disability (such as an audiogram), functional limitations, and requested accommodations. CFCC will work to ensure access, but 4 weeks’ notice is preferred in order to establish all accommodations for the first day of classes.
- Once enrolled, Students must communicate with their assigned interpreter(s) regarding any changes in their class and/or tutoring schedules. Students are expected to notify DSS and their interpreter(s) 24 hours in advance of a schedule change or absence. Repeated failures to provide timely notification will result in a mandatory counseling meeting with the Director of Disability Support Services and the Interpreter Coordinator.
- Students are strongly encouraged to utilize the tutoring support services provided by the Learning Lab. Interpreting services for tutoring will be provided upon request.
- When last minute interpreter coverage is logistically impossible or temporarily unavailable, DSS will arrange for alternative accommodations such as videotaping of class or other reasonable/effective services as suggested by the student and/or teacher.