Procedures and Guidelines
On this page, you will find information regarding guidelines, policies and procedures for distance education at CFCC. Check the Distance Learning blog for news about DL and Blackboard at Cape Fear Community College.
Instructors and students can access courses, email, and more directly through the single sign-on myCFCC portal. The document below provides a brief introduction to the portal, Blackboard learning management system, and email accounts at Cape Fear Community College:
CFCC is currently using the Blackboard 9.1 learning management system. Before faculty develop and/or teach online, they must complete required training and they are encouraged to attend additional professional development.
- Blackboard 101 (self-paced online)
- Learn Blackboard from a student's perspective to familiarize yourself with the learning management system.
- Learners must complete a few short activities.
- Getting Started with Blackboard(live or self-paced online)
- Prerequisite: Completion of Blackboard 101.
- Learn how to use Blackboard from an instructor's perspective (create and manage content).
- For learners in self-paced course, all activities must be completed.
In addition to the Web Attendance and WebAdvisor grading, distance learning instructors should refer to the DL Entry, Attendance and Withdrawal Procedures document.
How Do I Take Attendance?
- Web Attendance and WebAdvisor Grading
Learn about attendance procedures for all CFCC instructors.
Refer to the Registrar's Web Attendance and Grading resources for instructions on how to use Web Attendance and enter grades and no-shows in WebAdvisor.
- DL Entry, Attendance, and Withdrawal Procedures
Learn about procedures specifically for online faculty (instructors who teach Internet or hybrid courses). This document includes information about the Enrollment Verification, which is described in following section below.
- Online Tutorials
Instructors must include an enrollment verification, which will be used as verification of course participation. Keep in mind that if your course was copied from an existing course (or one of CFCC's templates), it should be a current, updated Enrollment Verification activity. Please check this first.
Who can help me with attendance?
- For help with Web Attendance, contact the Registrar's Office.
- For help with the Enrollment Verification (Internet or Hybrid courses), contact the Bb help desk at 910-362-7778 or visit L-220.
You have a number of options for adding content to your new course shells. Remember, credit courses are automatically created from Datatel before the semester starts. The instructor on record will be listed as the instructor and their courses will appear in Blackboard.
The course shells only include an Announcements link in the course navigation. It is up to the instructor to determine what content will be added.
- Refer to the Course Development page for guidance on creating quality course content.
- Learn about your options for adding content to your course shell.
- CFCC DL Course Request: Note that course shells are automatically created from Datatel, so there is no need to request a course using this form unless you want a Blackboard course for your face-to-face class, for Continuing Ed courses, or if are requesting a master or developmental course.
- CFCC DL Course Approval Procedure: This document explains the procedure for requesting to develop a new online (hybrid or Internet) course.
- CFCC Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
- DL Contingency Plan for Internet Based Course Delivery
- Note: Since CFCC's Blackboard learning management system is hosted off-site, you will be able to access it even if there are problems on campus. Access Blackboard through MyCFCC or at online.cfcc.edu .
DY/NY, and IN sections:
Students are enrolled in Blackboard curriculum courses after registration and at the end of each day of drop/add. Dropped students are unenrolled from Blackboard courses during drop/add. After drop/add, faculty will only be able to BLOCK a student from their course.
Students will automatically be enrolled in Blackboard course sites by computer services.
You can look up your user ID here: 'What's my User ID?'.