Cartography and Hydrographic
Survey - MSC 256
Announcements & Assignments
- Week 2 lectures & video are posted under Student Resources. Read or watch before week 2 class.
- HYPACK Basics
- Exercise - Creating a Project & Setting Geodesy
- Exercise - Loading Background Files
- Control Settings in HYPACK
- IHO Manual
- Introduction & Chapter 1
- Continue HYPACK Editors
- HYPACK Survey
- Field trips - Cape Fear River Single Beam Survey with HYPACK
- Review for Mid Terms
- Useful HYPACK videos (See bottom of "Student Resources" page)
- HYPACK website training videos
Week 8 - Mid Terms -
- Field trips - Cape Fear River MultiBeam Survey with HYSWEEP
- Power Points under Student Resources
Week 10 - SPRING BREAK!
- What is an ROV
- ROV lab
- Side Scan Sonar (review from MSC 152)
- SeaPerch ROV Construction Lab
- Training Cruises
Week 15/16 - Senior Cruises
- Sea Perch ROV Labs
- Final Exam - Study Guide
This course covers basic surveying techniques as they apply to marine research. Topics covered are the understanding of basic equipment and instrumentation used for hydrographic surveying and applying this equipment to software used in surveying around the world today. Upon completion, students should be able to use Hypack survey software, be familiar with various equipment and software used in hydrographic surveying and able to apply it in the field for surveys on board a variety of vessels.
- Course Hours Per Week: Class 1, Lab 3.
- Semester Hours Credit: 2.
- Prerequisite - CIS 111 and MSC 152
- Corequisite - MSC 254