State Health Plan
Have questions? Contact the State Health Plan at 855-859-0966 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to enroll in the State Health Plan, you must be within 30 calendar days of your hire date or must enroll during open enrollment, held in October of each year with a January 1 effective date.
The State Health Plan is administered by Blue Cross, Blue Shield of North Carolina. Employees may choose between two plan options – the 70/30 Plan and the 80/20 Plan. The cost of individual coverage varies depending upon which plan is chosen and if a tobacco wellness premium credit is completed. Employees are responsible for the full cost of dependent premiums. The State Health Plan runs on a calendar year.
Dependent Eligibility Verification: documentation must be submitted online to verify any dependents you cover on your health plan. Eligible Dependents include:
- Legally married spouse including same and opposite gender spouses
- Biological child of subscriber under age 26
- Adopted child under age 26
- Foster child under age 26
- Stepchild under age 26
- Child under age 26 for whom subscriber is court appointed guardian or for whom the plan as reviewed a QMCSO
To make changes to your State Health Plan outside of Annual Open Enrollment, employees must do so within 30 calendar days of a Qualifying Life Event as established by the IRS. Examples of qualifying events include birth, marriage, divorce, loss or gain of other coverage, and death.
Login to eBenefits to:
Enroll in benefits, view your elections for the State Health Plan, make Qualifying Life Event changes, and print/view member ID cards
Visit the State Health Plan website:
for State Health Plan information and resources
New Employee Resources:
- 2019 New Hire Guide
- 2019 step by step enrollment instructions – new employee
- 2019 New Employee Presentation
For more information visit: https://www.shpnc.org/new-employee-resources
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- State Health Plan: Contact Us
- How to update your Primary Care Provider
- How to do a Provider Search
- How to make changes to your benefits:
- To make changes to your State Health Plan outside of Open Enrollment, employees must do so within 30 calendar days of a Qualifying Life Event as established by the IRS. Review the Qualifying Life Event Guide for more information
- In order to make changes to your coverage, call the State Health Plan at 855-859-0966 or login to eBenefits
- How to request a new ID card: You may contact BCBSNC at 888-234-2416 or you may print a temporary card by logging in to eBenefits and from there, logging in to Blue Connect.
- Have questions regarding Medicare? Visit the State Health Plan’s website for Understanding Your Medical Plan Options When You Become Medicare-Eligible
Please visit the State Health Plan website for additional information and plan details.
Health Insurance SmartNC
Health Claim denied? If you or someone you know has been denied medical services, contact the North Carolina Department of Insurance’s Health Insurance SmartNC Program. SmartNC can assist you with:
- Understanding the appeals process and your rights under NC state law
- Filing your medical appeal with the State Health Plan
- Request an external review if your health insurance claim was denied
For more information visit: www.ncdoi.com/smart
855-408-1212 (toll free)
Visit SmartNC In-Person at:
North Carolina Department of Insurance
325 N. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603
Return to benefits