How to File a Complaint
If you experience sexual discrimination, harassment, or violence, you have rights and you have options. Title IX and CFCC resources exist to help you get the assistance you need. Whether you are a student, faculty member, staff member, or guest, you have the right to file a complaint through the College and/or explore options to address concerns.
Any person (student, faculty, staff, or guest) who believes that they have been subject to gender based discriminatory practices at the College may discuss concerns and file informal or formal complaints of potential Title IX violations. In the event of an emergency, please call 911.
Cape Fear Community College Resources
- The Dean of Student Affairs at CFCC serves as the College’s Title IX Coordinator and has primary responsibility for coordinating the Code of Conduct and the College’s efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX, which prohibits sexual misconduct at the College, as well as retaliation for the purpose of interfering with any right or privilege secured by Title IX. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX may be referred to CFCC’s Title IX Coordinator or to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. Student Affairs is located at the downtown Wilmington campus, 411 North Front Street, in the Union Station Building, 1st floor, Room U143 and is staffed from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and may be contacted by phone at (910) 362-7191 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling Services are available and confidential conferences can be arranged if students are experiencing social or personal difficulties. Counselors will discuss concerns, provide needed guidance and make community referrals when appropriate and may be contacted at the following campus locations:
– Union Station Building – 2nd floor, (910) 362.7017
– North Campus, McKeithan Center, (910) 362.7523
- The Campus Safety Office is located in the Galehouse Building, room A-220 and is available by phone at (910) 362-7855. Campus Safety Officers are available 24/7. Click on this link to view the Cape Fear Community College Annual Security Report.
- Human Resources manages issues with employee conduct. The Human Resources Office is located at the downtown Wilmington campus, 411 North Front Street, in the Union Station Building, 2nd floor room U-299. The Executive Director of Human Resources may be contacted Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by phone at 910-362-7027 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
A variety of City and County community resources available:
- Local Law Enforcement Agencies can be reached by calling 911.
- Area medical facilities are available as part of the New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
- The Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horizons Center, Inc., offers FREE and CONFIDENTIAL services to victims of sexual abuse and assault and their friends, families, and loved ones. You can call the Rape Crisis Center New Hanover at 910-392-7460 and/or the Rape Crisis Center Brunswick at 910-754-7949.
- Domestic Violence Shelter Services – Wilmington, NC is located at located at 2901 Market Street, Wilmington, NC. From I-40 continue onto College Road and then turn right on Market. From the east or west follow Highway 17 which becomes Market. Contact: Phone: 910.343.0703 (24-hour hotline with advocates available to assist individuals.)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline provides confidential support by highly-trained advocates available 24/7 to talk confidentially with anyone experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.
- National Sexual Assault Online Hotline provides live help for sexual assault victims and their friends and families. The service is free, confidential and secure.