Faculty and Staff Survey, Spring, 2004
Full-Time Staff Comments
Resource Development (Foundation and Grants)
1. I am aware that the Foundation raises money from the community.
2. I am aware that the Foundation awards mini-grants to faculty and staff annually.
70. On what basis? Sometimes the scholarships are not granted to the more deserving students.
3. I am aware that the Foundation exists primarily to provide student scholarships.
4. I am aware that I can designate my Campus Fund Drive contribution for a particular purpose.
5. I am aware that Foundation staff are available to assist with writing grant proposals.
70. The staff needs to communicate grants that are available.
Institutional Effectiveness (Planning, Assessment, Research)
6. I am aware that CFCC has a Planning and Research Office.
7. I have had contact and/or requested assistance from the planning and research office within the past year.
8. My requests for services or information have been handled within a reasonable time.
9. Products produced by this office are of good quality (CFCC FACT BOOK, website, reports, etc.).
10. I have visited the college’s Institutional Effectiveness (IE) website.
11. I am aware that CFCC has an on-going Institutional Effectiveness (planning and assessment) process.
12. The Institutional Effectiveness process is effectively communicated.
13. I am given the opportunity and have participated in annual planning and assessment within my department or planning unit.
14. CFCC publications are accurate, attractive and present a positive image of the college to the public.
15. CFCC programs and services are effectively promoted to the public.
16. Requests for public information services are handled in a professional manner.
17. The Public Information Office provides the services you need. If not, what services would you suggest?
324. Please announce on public television when campus is opened/closed due to inclement weather. (North, Hampstead, Burgaw, etc.)
18. Printing Services staff is courteous and polite.
51. The copy room and print shop personnel are very helpful and professional and provide for our needs in a very timely manner and great quality.
19. Photocopy requests are processed in a timely manner.
20. Photocopy requests are processed correctly.
21. Publication requests are handled in a timely manner.
22. The Printing Services department provides all the services my department needs. If not, what services would you suggest?
71. Realistically speaking, tests are not always ready one week in advance for the copy center to print. It would be beneficial to have a trustworthy (reliable) copy machine for allied health service building.
100. Printing services should have email with attachment print job requests. This greatly speeds up the turn around time. System also enables mail merges printed on a high speed printer.
107. Great services, always pleasant and helpful even on short notice.
23. Staff is courteous and helpful.
51. The Business Office staff are great to work with and always professional.
66. Debbie, Ann, and Sarah are a pleasure to work with.
24. Quality of services provided by the cashier’s window is satisfactory.
25. The business office provides adequate and timely budget reports to departments.
26. Final budget allocations are relayed to department-level personnel.
27. Budget transfers are clear and made known to the programs involved.
28. Payroll services are adequate to meet my needs.
29. Services for parking are satisfactory for my needs.
30. My travel requests are processed within a reasonable time.
41. #30&32-Travel requests and requisitions have always been slow, but this past year they have been frustrating beyond belief. Hopefully next year the bugs will be worked out of the new accounting software and there will be less staff turnover and these factors should help.
Purchasing/Receiving, Inventory, Mailroom
31. Staff is courteous and helpful.
66. Ray Hellman is a great person and very helpful .
32. My purchase requisitions are processed within a reasonable time.
33. Purchasing policies and procedures are communicated and easy to follow.
4. Often I feel that certain people know the “ins & outs” but it would be helpful if written procedures were available—or perhaps they are?
34. Inventory procedures are effectively communicated and easy to follow.
35. Mailroom services are satisfactory.
67. Ray Hellman is an asset to North Campus. Don’t know what I would do without him.
78. Mail service is good until there are boxes to be transported. Even when notified that there are boxes to be sent between campuses, it is difficult to get them picked up and delivered to other campuses or departments in a timely manner.
36. Staff is courteous and helpful.
41. #36&37-Computer services staff is a real asset to the college.
37. HELP desk calls/requests for services are handled within a reasonable time.
38. Technical support provided by computer services is adequate for my needs.
69. Technician should be available on campus whenever labs are open 8:00am-10:00pm.
324. Timeframe for installing equipment (computers, new) is extremely long. Equipment has been here since November 2003, but, as of now, it has not been installed yet!
39. Training for the use of computers and software meets my needs.
4. Not aware of any training offered by Computer Services (with the exception of Groupwise).
40. Information technology available at CFCC is adequate to meet the needs of the college.
41. #40-43-Lack of money to update hardware and software is a problem.
90. #40&41-CFCC does a commendable job at trying to keep up with changes/updates in information technology, however, financial and human resources are inadequate to keep pace. We always seem to be playing catch-up and have to move faster than our resources can support.
41. Replacement of college computers and software is consistent with current technology.
75. Too much diversity between new buildings and old as far as equipment and supplies go.
42. Computer equipment in my work area is adequate for my needs.
43. Computer software in my work area is up-to-date and adequate for my needs.
44. Staff is courteous and helpful.
45. Required texts and materials are available for students and classroom use in a reasonable time.
69. Frequently not enough texts are available.
46. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
38. The bookstore closes at 5pm—too early
47. Staff is courteous and helpful.
67. Margaret and Sharon are the best!
72. Overall, with the exception of one.
78. In general the staff in the cafeteria are unfriendly and always act like you are bothering them when they are asked to prepare food for you.
48. The quality and variety of food selections are satisfactory.
4. Food sits around for long periods of time; food variety and quality is marginal at best.
41. Would like expanded menu. Appreciate the salads.
71. More nutritious selections would bring in more $. Recommend salad bar.
78. The quality of the food is not very good. Generally, it is very bland and greasy. Usually, the buns for sandwiches are hard and tough because they have set under heat lamps all day. Little effort is made to offer a variety of food……just the same things each week.
79. The cafeteria is my biggest complaint. Their food selection is not considerate of health conscious individuals.
49. Hours of operation are satisfactory.
38. The cafeteria closes at 8:30pm with hot food stopped around 7:30pm—too early.
78. The hours are adequate when students are on campus. However, when classes are not in session, it is difficult to know when the cafeteria is open. The staff were combative to me about having to prepare food during these periods and even declined to prepare food for me on one occasion with one hour remaining before they closed.
50. Maintenance and cleanliness of the food services area are satisfactory.
51. Staff is courteous and helpful.
71. Queen is a joy to work with.
72. They are courteous, but not real helpful.
100. #51-55-Bathrooms, trash cans (outside), and building hallways need more attention. How often are hallways stripped and waxed? Bathrooms need “detailed” cleaning (corners, ledges, etc.) periodically.
52. Variety and types of housekeeping services provided are adequate.
41. Current staffing is inadequate to keep buildings clean.
53. Buildings and classrooms are clean and well kept.
38. Need to sweep, clean floors. This area 100% better than 3-5 years ago.
54. Bathrooms are clean and stocked adequately.
41. I am sick of using filthy bathrooms; they’re a health hazard. Until the students stop acting like pigs, each restroom needs to be cleaned 3 or 4 times a day. The college needs a cleaning crew to just clean restrooms all day.
55. Overall, housekeeping services are satisfactory.
62. Carpets are not vacuumed or cleaned regularly in the McLeod Building.
56. Staff is courteous and helpful.
4. #56-58-Staff (some) are unfriendly. Have often had to follow up on work requests a number of times.
38. No, a few are helpful and friendly, not staff as a whole.
78. In general, the maintenance staff is rude and difficult to deal with. Although they are competent in their work, their bad attitudes and lack of professionalism make them a nightmare to deal with.
57. Staff responds to requests for services within a 5-day timeframe.
38. Sometimes takes months and 3 or 4 requests for staff to respond.
58. Procedures for requesting services are effectively communicated.
59. The buildings and grounds are maintained in good functional order.
60. The general appearance of the college landscape is attractive and neat.
90. Landscaping/flowers, etc. are great! But, too much trash on steps in courtyard and other areas.
61. Maintenance and upkeep of college facilities are satisfactory.
62. Water fountain 3rd floor McLeod building has not worked a year or more.
75. Climate control is too extreme. Women’s bathroom in W building is horrible.
76. I think someone should be cleaning the lounge on the 1st floor, McLeod building. It is always dirty! The floor looks terrible. This is the only lounge in this building and I use it often. I have to get a towel from the restroom and wipe the table off most of the time.
90. Maintenance department is very understaffed and over worked.
Safety and Security
62. Emergency and evacuation procedures are adequate.
63. CFCC has a safety plan that is updated periodically and available on the CFCC Intranet.
64. I know where to go for first aid services.
65. Prompt action is taken when a security or safety problem arises.
41. The lack of concern for security is appalling. The college needs to cooperate better with the security company it has hired. Some security issues going back several years still are not resolved.
66. Campus security is satisfactory.
67. Lighting in parking areas is adequate.
38. Auxiliary parking not well lighted.
68. Staff is knowledgeable about policies and procedures.
38. John Upton and Nicole Bennett are outstanding employees. They are always prompt and responsive and professional.
69. Staff follows policies and procedures and administers them accordingly.
70. Personnel policies are communicated effectively.
3. Employee handbook needs to be clearer. Policies are too vague and are not always followed.
71. Personnel office staff provides valuable services to the college.
72. Benefit information is provided and explained in a manner that is easily understood.
73. Benefit enrollments are handled properly.
74. I am aware that an open enrollment period is held annually for employees to change their benefit elections.
75. Personnel recruitment process is handled in an organized, consistent manner in accordance with college policies.
76. Staff is courteous and helpful with students, faculty and staff.
57. #76-91-N/A Don’t deal with on a daily basis. When I was a student here 5 years ago, I found this area to be satisfactory.
66. Sue Shoe is a wonderful person. I really enjoy working with her.
67. I think you should have the Student Service (Student Development) at North Campus separate from the downtown. You have the Library and Learning Lab separate.
77. Policies and procedures accommodate students, faculty, and staff.
4. Procedure for id’s unacceptable—feel that students are treated like children—assume they will be “bad”, I’ve never seen a college (of any type) where food and drink were not allowed in the Student Activity area. It (the campus) comes across a punitive in many ways. (i.e., Student Activity area closed today due to misbehavior).
78. Student access to counselors is adequate.
90. Student Development-understaffed in counseling area.
79. The admissions process is effective in placing students in appropriate programs.
80. Orientation activities for new students are effective.
81. Student access to career and job center services is adequate.
82. The registration process is satisfactory.
4. #82&83-Registration process is extremely outdated. Needs to be online. Current system(s) cumbersome-can’t retrieve all information needed. Students are “sent back and forth” due to this problem.
32. As for registration, many colleges and universities already register on line and I feel we should provide this as soon as possible.
71. Registration letters should not have an advisor on it unless they are already in the program, otherwise they should not show up or call our offices. They need to get a copy of the advising schedule and show up there! Plus know not to call us—just to give our name at the advising center to be able to pull up their information.
83. The TRAC (telephone registration) is satisfactory.
38. Always busy when I tried.
84. Services of the registrar’s office are adequate to meet my needs.
72. #84&86-Wouldn’t it be students needs?
85. Recruiting activities and materials effectively portray the college.
38. What recruiting materials?
86. Enrollment management services are adequate to meet my needs.
87. Student activities are effective in promoting student interests.
4. Are we promoting our interests or their interests?
66. Student activities does not promote activities at the North Campus. Students at the North Campus are not receiving the same benefits as the downtown students.
67. Students at North Campus are short changed on activities and are treated different, although they pay the same fees.
88. Student Government Association (SGA) is effective in promoting student interests.
89. Student athletics are effective in promoting student interests.
90. Financial aid assistance and information are readily available to students.
91. Switchboard services are satisfactory.
92. Instructional support staff is courteous and helpful.
93. Instructional polices and procedures are effectively communicated.
94. Faculty is courteous, helpful and respond to requests within a reasonable time.
38. Instructors at CFCC are excellent. I have taken some curriculum classes and worked collaboratively with the instructor and they are great.
95. Instructional administrators are courteous, helpful and respond to requests within a reasonable time.
41. Administrators need to understand the jobs of the people they supervise.
96. CFCC should offer more distance learning:
90. Need infrastructure in place to support DL before increasing offerings.
a. Online Internet courses
70. A more effective way of screening students for online courses is needed.
b. Video-based Telecourses
c. Hybrid courses (mix of online and classroom instruction)
70. A total misconception of what a “hybrid course” is. Faculty needs to be made aware and trained to teach hybrid course.
97. Currently, the training provided to prepare faculty to teach distance learning courses is adequate.
70. Currently, there is no training. The faculty is left to their own devices. The training offered by LRC is inadequate because most faculty members are not required to attend the “training” it is purely voluntary.
Downtown Campus Learning Resource Center (Library and Media Center)
98. Staff is courteous and helpful.
4. This is inconsistent-varies from staff member to staff member.
70. Students complain all the time about how discourteous the staff is. From the Director down. The students are treated with disrespect or when they decide to be friendly to students they are “talked down” to.
99. Variety and types of services are adequate.
100. LRC resources are up-to-date and readily available.
4. This also varies from one subject to another.
101. Procedures to access services are communicated and easy to follow.
4. Need to make it easier-not up barriers to access needed information/materials. The LRC needs to be place where students/faculty/staff want to go. Lots of “don’t do this and can’t do that”.
102. LRC resources meet the needs of instruction.
103. Training and assistance in accessing LRC resources are adequate.
104. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
105. The workspaces and environment are conducive to study.
106. The media center responds to requests within a reasonable time.
4. Sometimes I think media staff could be a little more responsive to requests.
70. They are much better, however, they do not keep track of equipment given to staff and faculty. As a result, one can never get the equipment when needed.
107. Audiovisual equipment is current and maintained in good working order.
108. Media center services (audio, video and graphic production, teleconferencing) meet my needs.
109. I am aware of my role in developing the collection of books, serials and audiovisual/electronic resources.
North Campus Learning Resource Center (Library and Media Center)
110. Staff is courteous and helpful.
111. Variety and types of services are adequate.
112. LRC resources are up-to-date and readily available.
113. Procedures to access services are communicated and easy to follow.
114. LRC resources meet the needs of instruction.
115. Training and assistance in accessing LRC resources are adequate.
116. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
117. The workspaces and environment are conducive to study.
118. The media center responds to requests within a reasonable time.
119. Audiovisual equipment is current and maintained in good working order.
120. Media center services (audio, video and graphic production, teleconferencing) meet my needs.
121. I am aware of my role in developing the collection of books, serials and audiovisual/electronic resources.
Downtown Campus Learning Lab
122. Staff is courteous and helpful.
123. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
124. Staff is knowledgeable and competent in helping students, faculty and staff.
125. Adequate space to house staff and students.
70. It is crowded and very noisy in the room.
126. Workspace and environment are conducive to work and study.
70. It’s overcrowded.
127. Computers are available when needed.
70. The staff go out of their way to cater to student needs.
128. Adequate software to supplement instruction is available.
North Campus Learning Lab
129. Staff is courteous and helpful.
130. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
131. Staff is knowledgeable and competent in helping students, faculty and staff.
132. Adequate space to house staff and students.
133. Workspace and environment are conducive to work and study.
134. Computers are available when needed.
135. Adequate software to supplement instruction is available.
136. Staff is courteous and helpful.
137. I have taken a continuing education course in the past year.
138. Continuing education programs and services are effectively communicated to faculty and staff.
139. I have recommended a continuing education course to family or friends in the past year.
70. I do not recommend all courses because most instructors are not trained to teach.
140. Continuing education courses may serve as a bridge to curriculum coursework.
4. I think CFCC is a great place and has enormous potential. However, my comments reflect my opinion that certain management styles, organizational “cultures”, etc. need to be updated. “Learning organizations” in my experience, tend to be more flexible, more “team” oriented, and try to incorporate everyone into the decision-making process. Thanks for asking and for listening.
32. Many of the NA/Don’t Know answers do not correspond to my position and job description, therefore, I have no experience with them.
74. Display more student art in lobbies and hallways and have more music concerts lunchtime and evening. More displays/program re other cultures/ world events.
324. Overall Survey: I am a new employee. This acclaims for my N/A answers.