Planning and Budgeting Calendar
Annual Calendar for Planning and Budgeting
A planning and budgeting calendar is provided to outline, month to month, the dates for major planning and budgeting activities and critical deadlines to be met to implement the annual institutional effectiveness cycle.
From December to June, divisions and planning units are in a continuous planning mode for the next fiscal year.
- Vice presidents forward their county budget requests for the next fiscal year to the Vice President of Business and Financial Services by the 31st.
- CFCC county budgets approved by the CFCC Board of Trustees.
- CFCC New Hanover County Budget goes to New Hanover County Manager.
- Vice presidents, with their planning units, conduct mid-year budget reviews and advise the vice president of business services of any shortages or surpluses.
- Planning units conduct budget planning and prepare budget requests for next fiscal year using “Planning and Budgeting Request” forms.
- Annual CFCC state budget hearing is held. Vice presidents, executive directors, deans and designated staff present budget requests for the next fiscal year.
- CFCC Pender County Budget goes to the Pender County Manager.
- The vice presidents and executive directors, with their planning units, begin preparing an “Annual Report of Accomplishments” to include progress towards college strategic goals and their major planning priorities. This report is compiled before the end of the year so that the President can include a copy of the report or information from the report in his annual report to the Board of Trustees due in May.
- By April 1, the vice presidents and executive directors forward their “Annual Report of Accomplishments” to the Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning who compiles them into a final report and forwards to the president, distributes campus-wide, and posts on the IEP web page.
May – June
- Late in May or first of June – Annual college-wide planning meeting is held. Vice presidents, executive directors, deans, and designated staff present their major planning priorities for the coming year. They may address both strategic planning and assessment.
- Assessment Planning:
- By June 30, the administrative planning units should “close the loop” for their current year objectives by reporting “results” and “use of results” and, enter their objectives in SPOL for the next year, including procedures/assessment methods and the criteria for success.
- During this time, the academic planning units begin “closing the loop” by entering “results” and “use of results”, and begin entering their objectives for the next year, including procedures/assessment methods and criteria for success in SPOL as data is available to do so. (Faculty, please see “September” in this calendar and further explanation in the Description of the CFCC Annual Institutional Effectiveness and Planning (IEP) Implementation Cycle).
- Assessment Planning:
- Deans, department chairs, directors, executive directors, and vice presidents should review and approve the objectives under their supervision by entering a date for each one in the “Approval Status” section of SPOL.
July – August
- July 1, college begins new fiscal year.
- Planning units should have their 3-year equipment plans updated at this time.
- CFCC receives state budget and equipment budget (could be later depending on when General Assembly adjourns).
- Annual equipment hearing is held usually in August. Vice presidents, executive directors, and their staff present requests and justification for funds from the college’s equipment budget to purchase additional equipment for the current fiscal year.
By the end of September:
- Academic planning unit managers complete “closing the loop” for objectives from last year by entering “results’ and “use of results” in SPOL.
- Academic planning unit managers complete entering their objectives for the current year, including the procedures/assessment methods and criteria for success, in SPOL.
- Deans, department chairs, directors, executive directors and vice presidents should review and approve the objectives under their supervision by entering a date for each one in the “Approval Status” section of SPOL.
- College Mission and Strategic Goals periodically reviewed by the Institutional Effectiveness and Planning Committee and changes recommended to President as needed.