Faculty and Staff Survey, Spring, 2004
Part-Time Staff Comments
Resource Development (Foundation and Grants)
1.†I am aware that the Foundation raises money from the community.
2.†I am aware that the Foundation awards mini-grants to faculty and staff annually.
3.†I am aware that the Foundation exists primarily to provide student scholarships.
4.†I am aware that I can designate my Campus Fund Drive contribution for a particular purpose.
5.†I am aware that Foundation staff are available to assist with writing grant proposals.
Institutional Effectiveness (Planning, Assessment, Research)
6.†I am aware that CFCC has a Planning and Research Office.
7.†I have had contact and/or requested assistance from the planning and research office within the past year.
8.†My requests for services or information have been handled within a reasonable time.
9.†Products produced by this office are of good quality (CFCC FACT BOOK, website, reports, etc.).†
10. I have visited the collegeís Institutional Effectiveness (IE) website.
11. I am aware that CFCC has an on-going Institutional Effectiveness (planning and assessment) process.
12. The Institutional Effectiveness process is effectively communicated.
13. I am given the opportunity and have participated in annual planning and assessment within my department or planning unit.
14. CFCC publications are accurate, attractive and present a positive image of the college to the public.
15.†CFCC programs and services are effectively promoted to the public.
16. Requests for public information services are handled in a professional manner.
17. The Public Information Office provides the services you need. If not, what services would you suggest?
215.† List part-time employees in a directory where they can be found. This would benefit shipping and receiving as well as families trying to reach them in emergencies. Would also benefit staff and faculty trying to reach part-time instructors for information about their students.
236.† I strongly feel that when it comes to public information during storm, and inclement weather situations, CFCC is lacking. We get call after call here at the Burgaw Campus wanting to know about openings and closings. As a parent, I to wait by the TV and radio during bad weather needing and wanting to know how to make arrangements for my children in case school is cancelled. We have parents call wanting to know whether or not to send their kids out in severe weather at 7:00 am for an 8:00 am class. I guess in closing my suggestion is to say something, donít just assume that if CFCC doesnít announce a closing, then everyone knows that we are open.
18. Printing Services staff is courteous and polite.
19. Photocopy requests are processed in a timely manner.
20. Photocopy requests are processed correctly.
21. Publication requests are handled in a timely manner.
22. The Printing Services department provides all the services my department needs. If not, what services would you suggest?
213.† The Automotive department needs a copy machine.
23. Staff is courteous and helpful.
24. Quality of services provided by the cashierís window is satisfactory.
25. The business office provides adequate and timely budget reports to departments.
26. Final budget allocations are relayed to department-level personnel.
27. Budget transfers are clear and made known to the programs involved.
28. Payroll services are adequate to meet my needs.
322.† Direct Deposit of payroll checks should also be available to part-time employees.
29. Services for parking are satisfactory for my needs.
322.††Parking in the annex lot is horrible. Raise the fine to discourage students and re-landscape the lot!
30. My travel requests are processed within a reasonable time.
Purchasing/Receiving, Inventory, Mailroom
31. Staff is courteous and helpful.
32. My purchase requisitions are processed within a reasonable time.
33. Purchasing policies and procedures are communicated and easy to follow.
34. Inventory procedures are effectively communicated and easy to follow.
35. Mailroom services are satisfactory.
36. Staff is courteous and helpful.
37. HELP desk calls/requests for services are handled within a reasonable time.
38. Technical support provided by computer services is adequate for my needs.†
39. Training for the use of computers and software meets my needs.
40.†Information technology available at CFCC is adequate to meet the needs of the college.
41.†Replacement of college computers and software is consistent with current technology.
42. Computer equipment in my work area is adequate for my needs.
43. Computer software in my work area is up-to-date and adequate for my needs.
44. Staff is courteous and helpful.
45. Required texts and materials are available for students and classroom use in a reasonable time.
46. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
47. Staff is courteous and helpful.
48. The quality and variety of food selections are satisfactory.
49. Hours of operation are satisfactory.
50.†Maintenance and cleanliness of the food services area are satisfactory.
51. Staff is courteous and helpful.
52. Variety and types of housekeeping services provided are adequate.
53. Buildings and classrooms are clean and well kept.
215.††Bathrooms are usually clean and stocked, but toilet paper holder is too low to the floor. When you unroll toilet paper it drags the floor before you tear it off. This is very unsanitary.
54. Bathrooms are clean and stocked adequately.
55. Overall, housekeeping services are satisfactory.
56. Staff is courteous and helpful.
57. Staff responds to requests for services within a 5-day timeframe.
58.†Procedures for requesting services are effectively communicated.
215.††Maintenance donít always respond to our request in a timely manner. We have to send several e-mails and leave several messages before we hear from them.
59. The buildings and grounds are maintained in good functional order.
60. The general appearance of the college landscape is attractive and neat.
61. Maintenance and upkeep of college facilities are satisfactory.
217.†††Womenís bathroom-2nd floor L building (Next to Print Shop) is deplorable! Floors around toilets dirty; waste receptacles in stalls inappropriate size (too large-$1 each at Dollar Store); hot water faucets (x2) not working; cold water faucets (x2) not working properly (1 too long and 1 not long enough); toilet paper holder in handicapped stall installed too low to ground (below grab bar) needs to be raised above bar; no seat coversóever!!! If I worked for the Board of Health, this bathroom would fail inspection.
Safety and Security
62.†Emergency and evacuation procedures are adequate.
63. CFCC has a safety plan that is updated periodically and available on the CFCC Intranet.
64. I know where to go for first aid services.
65. Prompt action is taken when a security or safety problem arises.
66. Campus security is satisfactory.
67. Lighting in parking areas is adequate.
248.††More/better lighting needed near auxiliary lot and on the hill (Red Cross Street) leading to it.
68. Staff is knowledgeable about policies and procedures.
69. Staff follows policies and procedures and administers them accordingly.
70. Personnel policies are communicated effectively.
71. Personnel office staff provides valuable services to the college.
72. Benefit information is provided and explained in a manner that is easily understood.
73. Benefit enrollments are handled properly.
74. I am aware that an open enrollment period is held annually for employees to change their benefit elections.
75. Personnel recruitment process is handled in an organized, consistent manner in accordance with college policies.
76. Staff is courteous and helpful with students, faculty and staff.
77. Policies and procedures accommodate students, faculty, and staff.
78. Student access to counselors is adequate.
79. The admissions process is effective in placing students in appropriate programs.
80.†Orientation activities for new students are effective.
81. Student access to career and job center services is adequate.
82. The registration process is satisfactory.
83. The TRAC (telephone registration) is satisfactory.
84. Services of the registrarís office are adequate to meet my needs.
85. Recruiting activities and materials effectively portray the college.
86.†Enrollment management services are adequate to meet my needs.
87. Student activities are effective in promoting student interests.
88. Student Government Association (SGA) is effective in promoting student interests.
89. Student athletics are effective in promoting student interests.
90. Financial aid assistance and information are readily available to students.
91.†Switchboard services are satisfactory.
92.†Instructional support staff is courteous and helpful.
93.†Instructional polices and procedures are effectively communicated.
94. Faculty is courteous, helpful and respond to requests within a reasonable time.†
95.†Instructional administrators are courteous, helpful and respond to requests within a reasonable time.
96. CFCC should offer more distance learning:
††††† a.†† Online Internet courses
††††† b.†† Video-based Telecourses
††††† c.†† Hybrid courses (mix of online and classroom instruction)
97. Currently, the training provided to prepare faculty to teach distance learning courses is adequate.
Downtown Campus Learning Resource Center† (Library and Media Center)
98.†Staff is courteous and helpful.
250.† #98-109-The negatives apply to the Library not the Media Center.
99.†Variety and types of services are adequate.
100. LRC resources are up-to-date and readily available.
101.†Procedures to access services are communicated and easy to follow.
102. LRC resources meet the needs of instruction.
103. Training and assistance in accessing LRC resources are adequate.
104. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
105. The workspaces and environment are conducive to study.
106. The media center responds to requests within a reasonable time.
107.†Audiovisual equipment is current and maintained in good working order.
247.† I have received feedback that TC audio productions are not of good quality.
108. Media center services (audio, video and graphic production, teleconferencing) meet my needs.
109. I am aware of my role in developing the collection of books, serials and audiovisual/electronic resources.
North Campus Learning Resource Center† (Library and Media Center)
110. Staff is courteous and helpful.
111. Variety and types of services are adequate.
112. LRC resources are up-to-date and readily available.
113.†Procedures to access services are communicated and easy to follow.
114. LRC resources meet the needs of instruction.
115. Training and assistance in accessing LRC resources are adequate.
116. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
117. The workspaces and environment are conducive to study.
118. The media center responds to requests within a reasonable time.
119.†Audiovisual equipment is current and maintained in good working order.
120. Media center services (audio, video and graphic production, teleconferencing) meet my needs.
121. I am aware of my role in developing the collection of books, serials and audiovisual/electronic resources.
Downtown Campus Learning Lab
122. Staff is courteous and helpful.
123. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
124. Staff is knowledgeable and competent in helping students, faculty and staff.
125. Adequate space to house staff and students.
126.†Workspace and environment are conducive to work and study.
247.† The Learning Lab needs more space for one-on-one tutoring, testing out-of-class and needs a separate area for disability support services and staff trained in the use of auxiliary equipment.
127.†Computers are available when needed.
128. Adequate software to supplement instruction is available.
North Campus Learning Lab
129. Staff is courteous and helpful.
130. The hours of operation are satisfactory.
131. Staff is knowledgeable and competent in helping students, faculty and staff.
132. Adequate space to house staff and students.
133.†Workspace and environment are conducive to work and study.
134.†Computers are available when needed.
135. Adequate software to supplement instruction is available.
136. Staff is courteous and helpful.
137. I have taken a continuing education course in the past year.
138. Continuing education programs and services are effectively communicated to faculty and staff.
139. I have recommended a continuing education course to family or friends in the past year.
140. Continuing education courses may serve as a bridge to curriculum coursework.