Computer Competency

Who needs to take the Computer Competency Test?

The Computer Competency Test is an available option for College Transfer students who did not fulfill their Computer Competency requirements by taking a qualifying Computer course. You should only choose this option if you are competent in general computer use as well as with typical “Office” applications.  To help you determine if you are competent, the Computer Competency – Practice Test (link on the right) contains problems similar to those found on the actual test.  Choosing the Practice Test will allow you to work at your own pace using the many resources that are available to you to acquire basic computer competency and will give you an overview of the different computer concepts, the Internet, email, word-processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software. Students may also wish to complete the tutorials found here:

If you determine that you are not competent, you may instead choose to take a College Transfer computer course such as CIS 110 or CIS 115. CIS 111 will satisfy CFCC’s Computer Competency requirement but is not a College Transfer course.

Please be advised:
Passing the Computer Competency Test will fulfill your CFCC Computer Literacy requirement but will not fulfill a computer requirement at your transfer school.

In order to take the Computer Competency Test, you must first file your Intent to Graduate through the Registrar’s Office. 

How do I sign up to take the Computer Competency Test?

Students wishing to take the Computer Competency Test may do so at the Downtown Campus.  Call us at the telephone number listed below or stop by our office in L-219 at the Downtown Campus to set up an appointment.

Location Telephone Days Time


(910) 362-7496

Monday – Thursday

8:30 AM – 6:00 PM

           Friday  8:30 AM – 5:00 PM

The Computer Competency Test is administered on a computer.  Students should plan at least one hour in order to have ample time to complete the test.  You will not be able to save your test and come back to it if you need to leave.