The Oceanography Branch at the National Marine Fisheries Service in Narragansett, Rhode Island expects to have an opening for an Oceanographer at the GS-5 level (salary for a GS-5 step 1 in the Boston locality is $34,234, not including overtime http://www.opm.gov/oca/11tables/pdf/bos_h.pdf).
This is a Term position with an expected duration of 4 years. The position is located at National Marine Fisheries Service, Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), Narragansett Laboratory, Narragansett, Rhode Island and is assigned to the Oceanography Branch (http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/epd/ocean/MainPage/) of the Ecosystems Processes Division (http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/epd/).
Duties: The incumbent will support at-sea operations of the Oceanography Branch serving as scientific crew on plankton, trawl, and ship of opportunity surveys. It is anticipated that the incumbent will serve at least 120 days a year at sea and overtime is paid for sea duty. The incumbent will also provide shoreside support for Oceanography Branch operational programs.
Specific duties include:
1. Provide at-sea support for Oceanography Branch operations including plankton, trawl, conductivity, temperature, depth instruments, acoustic Doppler current profiler, and thermosalinograph instruments.
2. Collect plankton samples at sea using standard plankton sampling equipment.
3. Participate in at-sea operations for at least 120 days a year.
4. Collect conductivity, temperature, and depth data at sea.
5. Provide shore-side support for Oceanography Branch programs including gear preparation, maintenance and cleaning; sample storage; organizing and maintaining equipment and supply inventories; contribution to cruise plan and cruise reports; preliminary analyses of oceanographic data.
For more information regarding this expected position, please contact Jon Hare (email@example.com)
Persons desiring email notification of when the job is officially advertised are encouraged to visit the USAJOBS website and create an account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Account.aspx). After creating an account, a 'job search agent' can be created that will automatically notify you of jobs matching criteria that you specify.
For this job, you would select the following criteria:
Agency = Commerce, Department of, National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration;
Series Number = 1360.
It is possible to create multiple job search agents with more specific or more general selection criteria.
NOAA NMFS Northeast Fisheries Science Center
Chief, Oceanography Branch
28 Tarzwell Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
For this page and all
other pages in the Marine Technology sub-site - "The views and opinions
expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author and not necessarily
those of Cape Fear Community College."