Versar, Inc. is seeking to hire a Marine Habitat Assessment Technician in support of the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office (NCBO) Ecosystem Science Program. The NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office (NCBO) supports research to further the understanding of Chesapeake Bay and other dynamic natural systems. The Ecosystem Science Program at NCBO is seeking a Marine Habitat Technician to support field operations conducted by Ecosystem Science Habitat Assessment Team.
Responsibilities: Participate in acoustic seafloor mapping surveys, deploy and maintain data collection platforms and sensors, and participate in collection of in situ water samples and seasonal biological sampling surveys. Record, compile, process, and analyze data and samples. Significant time and effort will also be spent on small boat and trailer operations, maintenance, and minor repairs. Field surveys will occur throughout the Chesapeake Bay with the potential for other work outside the region when necessary. The position will occasionally require overnight travel and can occur in inclement weather for long hours.
Additional duties will include:
• Compiling data and results from previous research
• Participating in workgroups to design and evaluate survey
protocols and designs
• Assisting co-workers and other programs to facilitate data
collection and analysis
• Providing quality control of sensor and habitat survey data
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Marine ecology, Marine geology, Oceanography, or related field and field research experience – preferably in hydrographic and/or ecological studies. Geographic Information Systems (spatial/temporal data manipulation and analyses). Documented small boat training and experience piloting small boats.
Other Desirable Skills:
• Ability to integrate multiple hardware and software systems in a data acquisition, processing, and analysis environment
• High level of proficiency using Geographic Information Systems (spatial/temporal data manipulation and analyses)
• Experience with hydrographic software packages such as Hypack, Caris, Chesapeake Tech, or other relevant digital sensor software packages
The duty station for this position is Annapolis, Maryland.
Versar, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is negotiable and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Interested candidates should apply through www.versar.com, through the Careers page, referencing position number 2011-1350.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.