Using the Discussion Board
The Discussion Board is an area where students can discuss a designated topic. You have the ability to post messages, reply, and (possibly) attach files to your discussion.
Accessing the Discussion Board
Typically, you will find the Discussion Board on the Course Menu/Navigation.
Some instructors may place any required discussions under a Module or Unit area. The instructor will let you know where you can access the discussion boards.
Using Discussion Boards (Video – 4:03)
Read and Reply to Posts
- Click on the discussion you would like to view.
- Click on the post to read it.
- Use the Reply button and type your response.
- If you are attaching a document, use the Browser My Computer button and search for the document on your computer. Select your document and click the Open button.
- Note: File names should not contain any special characters or symbols such as “#” or “&”.
- When done, click Submit.
Add a New Thread
- From inside a discussion, click on the Create Thread button.
- Fill out the Subject of the thread and add your post in the Message Box.
- Add an attachment if you need to by clicking the Browse My Computer.
- Click Submit.
Note: Some instructors may not let you create your own thread and instead require you to reply to an existing thread.
View Multiple Posts at Once
Once in a thread, you can choose to view selected posts grouped together on one page by clicking on the checkbox to the left of each post, hovering over Message Actions at the top, and clicking the Collect button.
Students completing activities in Blackboard are eligible to print a Certificate of Completion.