December 3rd, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
Problem: When trying to print a report from the Grade Center, only the first page will print.
Workaround: None currently. This is a known issue with Blackboard, and is a problem in all browsers. A future upgrade (date unknown) will fix this.
For now, you can run the report and select all the text and then do a copy and past into a word document.
November 10th, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
Issue Description: Students may receive a “Test Prohibits Backtracking” error when taking a test. When Students click the next button, the error occurs and tells them they cannot go backwards in their test, and may cause some questions to go unanswered. Blackboard says this occurs when a student opens another tab during a test, but other schools have reported the error without another tab/window being opened.
Workaround: There is currently no fix from Blackboard until sometime next year. It is recommended that you do not use the option ‘Prohibit Backtracking’ when setting the options for your test.
October 14th, 2014 by Brandon Davis-Shannon
I wanted to make you aware of a Blackboard feature called Student Preview and a new error involving SafeAssign.
Student Preview: The test student tool that allowed you to see your course as a student has been replaced with Student Preview! You can now switch to a student view with a single click. Take a look at the instructions here.
Because of this changeover, we will be turning off “Add Test Student” on Nov. 14th. Please look over the instructions for Student Preview prior to that date.
SafeAssign: Currently, if an assignment with SafeAssign is made unavailable using the “Make the Assignment Available” check box, the SafeAssign options will be deselected and the SafeAssign options will not be able to be reactivated on that assignment.
The current workaround is to simply use the Date Restriction options. You can see more details at the Online Learning Blog.
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you and take care,
September 24th, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
Issue Description: In the Edit Assignment screen, when an assignment is unavailable, SafeAssign options cannot be turned on. If the options are checked, the check boxes will be unchecked when the page is submitted. When an assignment is made unavailable, if the SafeAssign options were previously checked, the check boxes will be unchecked when the page is submitted and it will be treated as a deleted SafeAssign submission.
Workaround: Do not uncheck the box next to “Make the Assignment Available. Availability can still be limited using the Display After and Display Until options under “Limited Availability.”
August 22nd, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
August 15th, 2014 by Brandon Davis-Shannon
Welcome back, Faculty!
We hope all of you had a great summer (whether you were on break or teaching). To help start the semester off smoothly, we at Online Learning would like to send a few pieces of information your way.
1. Student Blackboard Tutorial. There is a new student introduction to Blackboard! This tutorial is more streamlined, focusing on the bare essentials like the tools most frequently used in courses. Plus, it produces a certificate that students can present to you as proof that they have completed the tutorial. Please consider asking your students to complete this tutorial during the first week of class. They can find it under their course list titled “CFCC Blackboard Tutorial.”
The tutorial is also available outside of Blackboard sans practice activities and certificate, so take a look to get an idea of what the tutorial covers!
2. Enrollment Verification (EV). As you ready your classes, please make sure that students are pointed to the EV assignment and that the due dates are correct. For the Spring semester, the EV (census) dates are:
- 1st Mini Session: Aug 20th
- Full semester: Aug 26th
- 2nd Mini Session: Oct 17th
For those not familiar with EV, it is a check to make sure students are attending class. Students who do not meet its requirements are marked as No-Shows and withdrawn from the course. You can find a full explanation at the Enrollment Verification page at the Online Learning site.
3. Blackboard Upgrade. And there are some changes that we think you’ll like a lot: SafeAssign is integrated with regular assignments, the test student feature has been replaced with a much better tool called Student Preview, and more. To get you up to speed, Online Learning is offering three training sessions next week:
Times and Locations:
- Tues, Aug 19th @ 9:30 in L-220
- Weds, Aug 20th @ 2 in L-220
- NORTH: Thurs, Aug 21st @ 2 in NA-311
Register for the workshop
4. Startup Help. Remember, if you encounter any problems with Blackboard during start-up, we can be reached for assistance at 910-362-7772 or email@example.com.
Look for more resources and information from the department of Online Learning in the coming weeks.
Have a great semester!
August 3rd, 2014 by Brandon Davis-Shannon
Blackboard will be undergoing an upgrade on Monday, August 4th, from 12:30am to 12:30pm. During this time, Blackboard will be unavailable.
After the upgrade, you will see some minor changes in the way Blackboard is set up, including the way options for some assessments and tools are organized, the replacement of Test Students with a much easier to use Student Preview option, and the integration of SafeAssign with the regular Assignment tool (allowing you to use inline grading and SafeAssign at the same time). If you have questions about any changes you see or find any problems with the system, please let us know by phone at x7772 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, keep an eye open for an email containing registration information about “What’s New in Blackboard” sessions to help you learn the new features of Blackboard.
We apologize for any inconvenience this downtime may cause you.
July 7th, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
June 18th, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
June 18th, 2014 by Brantley McKeithan
Courses vary in design depending on the instructor, but some common elements exist. Here is an overview of the various options for the course environment.
Course Environment Terminology (pdf)
Your Course Environment video
Setting a Course Homepage video
Displaying/Hiding links in the Course Menu
Add a Banner video
Add Menu Items includes:
Build a Learning Module video