Union Station Project - Cape Fear Community College
Cape Fear Community College's new Union Station project will be a major new addition to the landscape of downtown Wilmington. The project is the first building to be funded by the $164 million bond referendum passed by New Hanover County voters in November 2008.
Located at the corner of Front and Red Cross streets, the building will enable CFCC to better serve local citizens by providing more classrooms for general college classes, expanded health care training labs, a simulated operating room for the surgical technology program and a student services center which will include a one- stop location for vital student services like financial aid, counseling, career services, and business services.
Construction began on the project in Jan. of 2011. The building is projected to be completed in the summer of 2013 and is expected be open for classes in the fall of 2013.
• Location: Corner of Front and Red Cross streets
• Size: Approx. 250,000 square feet
• Height 5 stories
• Total Project: $54.5 million
• Expected to be LEED certified (CFCC’s first “Green Building”)
• Architect: LS3P Associates
• General Contractor: Shelco, Inc.
The architecture of Union Station will reflect historic style of former the Atlantic Coast Line office building, Union Station, which once sat on the same site.
Remembering the Railroad: The heritage of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad will be remembered throughout the site of CFCC's new Union Station Building. The former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad passenger station (at left) once sat on the now vacant site of Union Station (at right). In addition to the overall architecture of the building, the railroad will be remembered with several historical markers and a renovated coach carpenter's shop, located behind Union Station.
Master Site Plan Improvements:
- Overgrown railbed to be converted into new green space with pedestrian park and outdoor amphitheater
- Renovated coach carpenter's shop to serve as static historical display
- Safer pedestrian access from student parking areas to classroom facilities
- More on-campus parking for students to alleviate over-crowded parking lots
Master Site Pan Map:
(Click for larger image)
Check on the daily progress of Union Station here (web cam)
For more information about CFCC's Union Station project or to schedule a presentation about the project to your civic club or organization, please contact the CFCC Public Information Office at 362-7020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.