Ask for Help:
You are not alone in this experience. Your supervisor understands the issues at your site and can help to answer any of the questions or concerns you may have. Your supervisor can guide your response to difficult or uncomfortable situations. In addition, your instructor and/or the CFCC service learning coordinator are always happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may be having.
Honor Your Commitment:
This organization has selected you to be a reliable and trustworthy contributing team member. The organization and its clients will be depending on you to complete the serve hours you have committed to.
Follow Your Work Schedule:
Always call ahead if you need to miss your shift or are running late. Be mindful of your commitment; people are counting on you.
You are in a work situation and are expected to treat your supervisor and others with courtesy and kindness. Dress comfortably, neatly and appropriately. Use formal names unless instructed otherwise. Set a positive standard for other students to follow as part of CFCC’s ongoing Service Learning Program. Remember, placement within community programs is an educational opportunity and a privilege. As you serve, you will also be served by this experience by learning valuable tools and skills.
Respect the privacy of all clients served by your agency. If you are privy to confidential information (i.e. organizational files, diagnostics, personal stories, etc), it is vital that you maintain complete confidentiality. When writing about your experiences, always use pseudonyms when referring to clients or people served by your agency
The nature of the work and tasks needed at a community service organization is not always predictable. Accepting this unpredictability and change will produce positive outcomes for everyone involved.
Limitations and Boundaries
- Never report under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Never give or loan a client money or other personal belongings.
- Never make promises or commitments that you cannot keep.
- Never tolerate verbal exchange of a sexual nature or engage in behavior that might be perceived as sexual with a client or community organization representative.
- Never tolerate verbal exchange or engage in behavior that might be perceived as discriminating against an individual on the basis of their age, race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or ethnicity.
- Never engage in any type of business with clients during the term of your service.
- Never enter into personal relationships with a client or community partner representative during the term of your service.
If you feel that your rights have been violated or that any of the above stated limitations have occurred, please contact Kate Santhuff , 910.362.7594 immediate