Cape Fear Community College

Good Work Ethics Should Lead to Career Success

Cape Fear Community College and employers recognize the importance of good work ethics. The standards that govern the conduct of persons in the workplace are known as work ethics. More specifically, a person's conduct, such as punctuality, honesty, motivation, reliability, cooperation, thoroughness, and creativity, pertains to the values, abilities, and behaviors that he or she brings to the job. Studies show that employees' lack of ability to do a job accounts for only 15 percent of firings and dismissals. Of the other 85 percent, employers often give the following reasons for "letting employees go":
 

CFCC instructors want you to be prepared for further education and success in the workplace; therefore, they have classroom and shop/lab rules and standards. Below is a checklist for assessing your commitment to school/work ethics.
 

__ I understand the importance of quality--the importance of doing a school/job assignment right the first time.

__ I am motivated, and I accept responsibility without close supervision.

__ I am receptive to new ideas, methods, and processes; and I pursue emerging technologies.

__ I speak and write effectively in a clear, concise, and professional manner.

__ I function in a "team" environment that requires working for the "good of the whole."

__ I am dependable and reliable at school/work, reporting to my classes/job on time and completing assignments within the required time.

__ I am honest in my dealings with instructors, supervisors, students, and coworkers; and I display a cooperative and supportive attitude.

__ I dress appropriately for school and the workplace and maintain a neat, clean appearance.

__ I manage my time effectively and look for ways to be more efficient at school and on the job.

__ I maintain a clean, orderly school/work space and leave it ready for use by others.