The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is a 10-week course designed to prepare you for a challenging, interesting and HIGH PAYING career as an electrical lineman.
At the CFCC Electrical Lineworker Training Program you will learn the skills and knowledge required of an apprentice lineman:
An “In-demand” Trade
The Carolina Energy Workforce Consortium (representing North and South Carolina) is addressing a serious shortage of electrical lineworkers. They estimate that the industry will need approximately 800 new linemen each year for the next 5 years. The 2016 median wage for experienced linemen was $60,800/year.
- The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is designed to train persons that wish to become entry-level electrical lineworkers for private and public utility companies and related employers.
- Students will learn the academic and field skills necessary for entry-level workers.
- Safety is stressed in every aspect of the job.
- This program is approved for national certification by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) and for Pre-Apprentice credit by the NC Department of Commerce.
- Students will receive earn a Flagger and OSHA 10 safety training.
- The course is limited to 50 students. Spaces are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Resume and job interview assistance is available.
- Job placement assistance is available. Employers will be on-site to interview graduates following the graduation ceremony. Course is 400 hours and 350 hours are credited to your apprenticeship with your future employer. Utility companies have new employees complete a 4-5 year apprenticeship. Therefore, this 10-week course reduces apprenticeship duration once in a job.
Program Information Guide
|Details:||North Campus, 10 weeks, 400 hours|
|Current Offering:||October 1 – December 13, 2019, M-F, 8am-5pm
Orientation to drop off required documents:
Monday, September 23, 8 am – 12 pm
Tuesday, September 24, 4 – 6 pm
Course code to register for October class: B2082.
|Future Offerings (Tentative):||January 2 – March 12, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
March 27 – June 10, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
July 6 – September 14, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
September 29 – December 9, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
Course codes to register for 2020 classes will be available at a later date.
|Course Location:||Rooms 131 and 135
CFCC North Campus
4500 Blue Clay Road
Castle Hayne, NC 28429
The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is a 10-week, Monday-Friday training course. Each week consists of 40 hours of training. Each day is 8am – 5pm with 1 hour lunch. Lineman work outside in all weather conditions and the training program will be no different. Major holidays are observed.
Step 1: Click the link above. Use course code located above to register. Then click the yellow “Continuing Education” box.
Step 2: Click “Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes”
Step 3: Enter the course code in the “Course Code Number” search box and click “submit”
Step 4: Click the checkbox to the left of your course and click “submit”
Step 5: Fill out the form – be sure to fill out everything with a red asterisk. Please ensure you put in a good email address so that we may email you all of the “welcome” forms or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 6: Click the checkbox labeled “YOU MUST CERTIFY TO PROCEED” then click “submit”
Step 7: Answer the remaining questions and then pay with a credit or debit card
Step 8: Click the “Okay” button to complete the transaction
*Students must pay the $185.00 registration fee to secure a spot in class. Students must purchase lineman boots prior to class start date (costs vary). Books are available in the classroom – no need to purchase. Registration and boot costs will be reimbursed to students upon successful course completion depending on grant fund availability. There is no tuition for this course – only the registration fee.
|DOT PHYSICAL & DRUG SCREEN
Dependent upon provider
|$100.00 & up|
|DMV CLASS A CDL LEARNER PERMIT
Learner permit required to obtain license during course
|LINEMAN STYLE BOOTS WITH COMPOSITE TOE
Required and costs may vary
- Weight under 275 lbs
- Students must have safety toe/shank lineman boots prior to class start date
- DOT Physical & Drug Screen
- Clean criminal background preferred – no need for copy or proof
- Individual employers have the right to select applicants in accordance with their specific policies and procedures. Criminal background checks are completed by most employers. Therefore, CFCC cannot guarantee employment upon graduation.
- Current tetanus vaccine recommended – no need for copy or proof
On the First Day of Class, Please Bring Copies of the Following:
- Proof of high school diploma or GED
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Medical Card – showing proof of DOT physical
- CDL Class A Learner Permit
- Required prior to the first day of class so that you may practice driving for the CDL Test
- DD Form 214 for Veterans
- Minor release form completed and notarized if under 18 years of age
- Long-sleeve work shirt/T-shirt – no tank tops or T-shirts with offensive images/content
- Long pants or jeans
- Work boots – Lineman style, composite toe/shank
- No jewelry – no earrings, necklaces, rings, facial piercings, etc.
Students are required to secure their own housing. See below for housing options.
Student Housing Options
- The Reserve at Forest Hills
- 3 month leases available with utilities included in rent
- Furnished and unfurnished options available
- The Hampton Inn Wilmington – University Area/Smith Creek Station
- $94.00 for CFCC students
- 124 Old Eastwood Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Speak with Kim Hale, Area Director of Sales
- Office: (910) 509-0003
- Extended stay hotels
- Realty companies may also be able to search for extended stay options
- Google search: “student housing in Wilmington, NC”
- Please visit the CFCC Lineworker Training Housing Facebook Group if you are interested in finding a classmate to room with.
Call Emily Holt at (910) 362-7386 or email email@example.com.