The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is a 10-week course designed to prepare you for a challenging, interesting and HIGH PAYING career as an electrical lineman.
At the CFCC Electrical Lineworker Training Program you will learn the skills and knowledge required of an apprentice lineman:
An “In-demand” Trade
The Carolina Energy Workforce Consortium (representing North and South Carolina) is addressing a serious shortage of electrical lineworkers. They estimate that the industry will need approximately 800 new linemen each year for the next 5 years. The 2016 median wage for experienced linemen was $60,800/year.
- The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is designed to train persons that wish to become entry-level electrical lineworkers for private and public utility companies and related employers.
- Students will learn the academic and field skills necessary for entry-level workers.
- Safety is stressed in every aspect of the job.
- This program is approved for national certification by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) and for Pre-Apprentice credit by the NC Department of Commerce.
- Students will receive earn a Flagger and OSHA 10 safety training.
- The course is limited to 60 students. Spaces are available on a first-come, first served basis.
- Resume and job interview assistance is available.
- Job placement assistance is available. Employers will be on-site to interview graduates following the graduation ceremony. Course is 400 hours and 350 hours are credited to your apprenticeship with your future employer. Utility companies have new employees complete a 4-5 year apprenticeship. Therefore, this 10-week course reduces apprenticeship duration once in a job.
Program Information Guide
|Details:||North Campus, 10 weeks, 400 hours|
|Course Location:||Rooms 131 and 135
CFCC North Campus
4500 Blue Clay Road
Castle Hayne, NC 28429
|Current Offering:||Class Dates
January 6 – March 16, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
Orientation is required for dropping off copies of required documents, filling out paperwork and to use this time to ask any questions you may have about the program. You do not have to attend both orientations, just one or the other. You may come:
|Next Offering:||March 30 – June 9, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm|
|Future Offerings (Tentative):||July 6 – September 14, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
September 28 – December 9, 2020, M-F, 8am-5pm
The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is a 10-week, Monday-Friday training course. Each week consists of 40 hours of training. Each day is 8am – 5pm with 1-hour lunch. Lineman work outside in all weather conditions and the training program will be no different. Major holidays are observed.
*Students must pay the $185.00 registration fee to secure a spot in class. Students must purchase lineman boots prior to class start date (costs vary). Books are available in the classroom – no need to purchase. Registration will be reimbursed to students upon successful course completion depending on grant fund availability. There is no tuition for this course – only the registration fee. Prices below are approximate.
|DOT PHYSICAL & DRUG SCREEN
Dependent upon provider
*Students are subject to another drug screen during the class
|$100.00 & up
|DMV CLASS A CDL LEARNER PERMIT
Learner permit required to obtain license during course
Required and costs may vary
Recommended but not required
- Weight under 275 lbs
- Students must have lineman-style boots prior to class start date
- Composite or steel toe
- Slip-on or lace-up
- 8″ – 10″ height preferred
- Recommended: double shank
- DOT Physical & Drug Screen
- Clean criminal background preferred – no need for copy or proof
- Individual employers have the right to select applicants in accordance with their specific policies and procedures. Criminal background checks are completed by most employers. Therefore, CFCC cannot guarantee employment upon graduation.
- Current tetanus vaccine recommended – no need for copy or proof
On the Mandatory Orientation Days, Please Bring Copies of the Following:
- Proof of high school diploma or GED
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Medical Card/Form – showing proof of DOT physical
- CDL Class A Learner Permit
- Required prior to the first day of class so that you may practice driving for the CDL Test
- Note: If you are unable to get your Class A Commercial Driver Learner Permit before the mandatory orientation days, you CAN still come to class but you will be sent back each day to the DMV to continue re-testing for the permit. It is crucial that you get your permit BEFORE class starts so you do not miss any class time or tests.
- DD Form 214 for Veterans
- Minor release form completed and notarized if under 18 years of age
- Long-sleeve work shirt/T-shirt – no tank tops or T-shirts with offensive images/content
- Long pants or jeans
- Work boots – Lineman style, composite or steel toe/double shank, slip-on or lace-up, 8″ – 10″ height preferred
- J.Harlen boots
- Red Wing – local in Wilmington, NC
- Tomlinson Sales Co. – local in Wilmington, NC
- Recommended brands are Hall’s or Hoffman
- No jewelry – no earrings, necklaces, rings, facial piercings, etc.
Students are required to secure their own housing. See below for housing options.
CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON STUDENT HOUSING OPTIONS
- The Reserve at Forest Hills
- 3-month leases available with utilities included in rent
- Furnished and unfurnished options available
- Call for more information: (910) 763-7663
- The Creek at Forest Hills
- Short term leases available
- Call for more information: (910) 415-1902
- The Hampton Inn Wilmington – University Area/Smith Creek Station
- $94.00 for CFCC students
- 124 Old Eastwood Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Speak with Kim Hale, Area Director of Sales
- Office: (910) 509-0003
- Extended stay hotels
- Realty companies in the local area may also be able to search for extended stay options
- Google search: “student housing in Wilmington, NC” for more available options
- Please visit the CFCC Lineworker Training Housing Facebook Group if you are interested in finding a classmate to room with.
Call Emily Holt at (910) 362-7386 or email email@example.com.