Frequently Asked Questions
Classes & College Operations
The Learning Labs at both campuses are also open for tutoring. Online tutoring is available and conducted via Blackboard discussion boards and/or Google Meet. Hours and additional information are available at cfcc.edu/learning-lab/ .
About the Virus
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals. Symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
About 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are mild. Many people may not even realize they are sick. Those at greatest risk of complications if infected with COVID-19 are the elderly and those with immune deficiencies and chronic health issues.
- Shortness of breath
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
New Hanover County opened a Public Health Coronavirus Call Center for residents with questions about COVID-19. Individuals can call to speak with a public health nurse and, if needed, be connected with a provider who can determine if a flu test and/or COVID-19 is needed.
Phone Number: 910-798-6800
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-6 pm (call center will initially open at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 17)
CISA encourages individuals to remain vigilant and take the following precautions.
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails and be wary of email attachments. See Using Caution with Email Attachments and Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Scams for more information.
- Use trusted sources—such as legitimate, government websites—for up-to-date, fact-based information about COVID-19.
- Do not reveal personal or financial information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information.
- Verify a charity’s authenticity before making donations. Review the Federal Trade Commission’s page on Charity Scams for more information.
- Review CISA Insights on Risk Management for COVID-19 for more information.