Determine If You Need Placement Testing (Pre Fall 2020)
If you plan to apply and enroll for Fall 2020 or after, please see the Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) Placement Assessment and Exemptions .
If you are applying for any semester prior to Fall 2020, the following criteria can be used to determine whether you need to take the placement test.
- Successfully completed comparable writing and reading and/or math developmental courses at other North Carolina community colleges.
- Achieved CFCC’s cut-off scores for desired curriculum programs by submitting official ASSET, COMPASS or ACCUPLACER (CPT) scores taken at other institutions within the last five years.
- Achieved the following minimum scores within the last five years:
Date SAT ACT Tested Prior to March 2016 500 Reading or Writing 22 Reading or 18 English Tested After March 2016 480 Reading or Writing 22 Reading or 18 English Tested Prior to March 2016 500 Math 22 Math Tested After March 2016 530 Math 22 Math
*And has submitted an official copy through College Board to the Admissions Office.
CFCC SAT College Code: 5094
CFCC ACT College Code: 3185
- Satisfactorily completed a college-level English composition and/or math course above the developmental level at an accredited college or university.
- Graduated from a North Carolina high school less than five years ago with an unweighted GPA of 2.6 or higher and the successful completion of Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II (or the Standard Course of Study equivalents), and one additional math course (Advanced Functions and Modeling, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, Discrete Mathematics; Essentials for College Math (SREB – Math Ready), Integrated Mathematics IV; International Baccalaureate Mathematics, International Baccalaureate Computer Science, Mindset, Pre-Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Analytical Geometry, Calculus, or Trigonometry)