Class of 2022 high school grads, your first two years at CFCC can be FREE! FIND OUT HOW
Home / Services & Support / Office of Student Success - Title III / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Academic Warning?

Being placed on Academic Warning means that your Cumulative GPA has dropped below 2.0 for one semester. Students on Academic Warning are encouraged to visit CFCC resources, including the Learning Lab, Counseling, Advising, Disability Support Services, Success Coaching, and/or Career Services. For more information, please see Academic Standards .

I’m on Academic Probation! What does that mean?

Being placed on Academic Probation means that your Cumulative GPA has remained below 2.0 after the warning period. If you are on Academic Probation (AP), you can only take 10 credit hours; you must also meet with an Academic Success Coach and take ACA 90. If you remain on Academic Probation for the next semester, you will be placed on AP6- meaning you can only take up to 6 credit hours. Please note that you have to achieve a 2.0 Cumulative GPA to graduate CFCC. For more information, please see Academic Standards .

Who should I contact if I’m on Academic Probation or Warning?

If you are on Academic Warning, you are encouraged to meet with your Counselor in U-132. If you are on Academic Probation, you can contact the Office of Student Success in A-205/206. We will set you up for a meeting with your Academic Success Coach to discuss strategies to get you on the right path! You can contact the Success Coaches directly: Eric Schurer ( 910-362-7192 ) or Laurajean Montagano ( 910-362-7812 ). You can also email us at .

What is ACA 090? Do I have to take it?

If you are placed on Academic Probation, you will be required to take ACA 090 – Student Success Strategies as one of your allowed 10 credit hours. This course is designed to help you with the skills needed to succeed in college and beyond! You will learn about the College’s physical, academic, and social environment, techniques for personal development, and how to cultivate learning strategies essential for your success.

I’ve lost my financial aid! Can I get it back?

Students on Academic Probation may lose Financial Aid eligibility. If this happens, you have the option to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal to regain your Financial Aid. To file a SAP Appeal, you must submit a typed document to the Financial Aid Office detailing why you were not able to make satisfactory academic progress, what changes have been made to your situation, and how you will improve your academic status in the upcoming term. You will also need to provide a copy of your program evaluation. Appeals are typically reviewed within 15 business days.

If your appeal is approved, you will regain financial aid eligibility for another semester. You must achieve a 75% completion rate and maintain a term GPA of 2.0 (not cumulative) while you are on appeal status to keep financial aid eligibility. If you need assistance with your SAP Appeal, please reach out to Financial Aid or The Office of Student Success in A-206.

You can find the SAP Appeal form here .

I haven’t attended CFCC in awhile. What is Academic Forgiveness?

If you are a returning student that hasn’t been enrolled for 1 or more years at CFCC, you have the option to receive Academic Forgiveness. This is designed to give students a fresh start at school by re-calculating their cumulative GPA. The grades that will be disregarded from your GPA are “F,” “XF,” “WF,” and “NC.” These grades will be marked as forgiven on your transcript.

To be eligible for Academic Forgiveness, you must register and successfully complete one term of 6 credit hours with a 2.0 semester GPA or higher. The ACA-090 course is strongly recommended in your return semester. Once you complete your return semester successfully, you will submit a written statement and explain to the Judicial Board the factors that led to your low GPA, how you’re working to improve it, and how Academic Forgiveness will help you achieve your goals. A Success Coach will walk you through this process.

Academic Forgiveness can only be granted one time. It does not influence your GPA at any other institution.

Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement

If Hurricane Florence prevented you from completing one or more courses in Fall 2018, you may be eligible for a tuition waiver. If you are eligible for this waiver, you can apply tuition paid for Fall 2018 courses, from which you withdrew, to offset the tuition for courses taken in Summer and Fall, 2019. You must be enrolled in Summer/Fall 2019 courses before applying. For more information, please email .

The online application for the Tuition Waiver can be found here .

How does CFCC determine if I am an NC Resident?

All students will need to complete the online residency determination service prior to applying to CFCC. It is recommended you complete the residency determination well in advance of the semester you wish to start. CFCC will continue to work with you if you have a business sponsorship, are using military benefits, or for other exceptions allowed by the state. Please visit NCResidency for more information. You can also read additional tips for completing the residency determination and Student FAQs .
Translate »