Thank you for your interest in the Barber Training Program. We are excited to be able to offer this new and affordable program to students in our local area.
The Barber Training Day Program is a 12-14 month program. Students will attend school 8am - 4:15pm Monday through Thursday. The Barber Training Night Program is a 14-16 month program. Students will attend school 5pm – 10:15pm Monday through Friday. The Barber Training Program provides the skills necessary to become a professional barber! The program will prepare the students for the North Carolina Board Exam which will result in an apprentice license. The successful student will be qualified to work in an entry level position in a barber shop or related business. After at least one year of on the job training another exam is given by the Barber Board to issue a Registered Barber License.
Costs associated with the program include:
- Student Permit: $25 (due at registration). Money Order payable to NC Board of Barber Examiners
- Tuition: $175 per course (due at registration). 4 courses projected will be a total of $700.
- Insurance: $15 (due at registration.) Due each fiscal year.
- Barber Student Kit: Approximately $600. This kit contains equipment that you will carry with you to your first job.
- Books: $218 (must be purchased prior to the first day of class).
The total cost to purchase books, kit, and initial application, tuition, and insurance totals under $1,100. Total cost for the entire program will total only approximately $1,600. This is an excellent price for learning a new career!
Required at time of Registration:
- Completed “Application to Enroll in Barber School”, including a money order for $25.00 student permit fee. The money order must be made out to the NC Board of Barber Examiners. NOTE: All Applicants are required to obtain an FBI Identification Record that will be submitted to the NC State Board.
Applicants with a felony conviction must submit their FBI Identification Record showing his/her felony conviction(s), with the “Application to Enroll in Barber School”. See the link below for information on how to obtain an FBI Identification Record:
- Completed CFCC Continuing Education Registration Form. Registration form must be accompanied by $190 which includes the tuition fee of $175 for the first course and the insurance fee of $15.
- Student must bring proof of High School graduation or GED. A copy of the diploma or transcripts must be provided for our records. The student may also submit a CRC certificate in lieu of the High School Diploma or GED.
***Please note: Student must satisfy any unpaid fees to CFCC, before registration. Flags on the student record will cause the registration to be denied.
All students are encouraged to stop by the barber school and speak to the instructor, Deginald King. Bring your questions! He is in the classroom all day, Monday through Thursday, but you can stop by during one of the class breaks: 10:15am, noon, and 2:45pm. The location of the barber school is in a small business park named “Emerald Square”. The address is 3333 Wrightsville Ave. Our classroom is in unit “O” and the shop in unit “F”. There is a sign above each location indicating Cape Fear Community College Barber School. An interview with the instructor is required before registration.
If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance, let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
Program Coordinator / Lead Instructor
Cape Fear Community College