Adult High School
The Adult High School (AHS) is a credit-based program designed for students who have not yet completed high school and wish to earn their diploma. There is no cost to students!
Graduates receive an Adult High School Diploma issued by Cape Fear Community College and the New Hanover or Pender County Board of Education. The AHS diploma is the equivalent of any public or private high school diploma and is recognized by employers, colleges, and universities throughout the country.
Classes are offered at the downtown Wilmington Campus. Online courses are available, too.
Returning AHS Students
New Student Orientation and Registration
All AHS students attend a 3-hour orientation to complete the registration process. Attendance is required in order to register for classes.
ALL NEW STUDENTS MUST BRING to Orientation:
- Picture ID with birth date and signature
- Social Security card
- Official sealed transcript from previous high school(s) in a sealed envelope. If there is not a transcript available, they will start AHS classes with 0 credits.
All STUDENTS AGED 16 OR 17 ATTENDING ORIENTATION MUST:
- Be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the first half hour of orientation
- Provide proof of high school withdrawal OR an Official School Withdrawal Form:
- Present a notarized Parental Consent form (Minors without a completed parental consent form will not be eligible to participate in orientation.)
AHS New Student Orientation and Registration Dates
CFCC Wilmington Campus, McLeod (S) Building, Room S-105
Session Dates and Times*
|April 8 & 11, 2024
|April 17 & 18
9 a.m.-12 p.m.
*Students must attend both sessions in order to be registered for Adult High School.
All AHS classes run in nine-week sessions. Each class meets for a total of 68 hours. Students must be in attendance for a minimum of 64 hours to be eligible to earn credit for the class.
Face-to-face classes are held at the Wilmington campus on Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday from 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm.
ADULT HIGH SCHOOL CLASSES ONLINE
All AHS classes are offered online via Edmentum. Just like a face-to-face class, an online class runs for a total of 68 hours during each nine-week session. Students must be logged in and actively participating for a minimum of 64 hours to be eligible to earn credit for the class.
The Adult High School program requires students to earn the following 22 credits:
- 4 English credits
- 4 math credits (Math I, Math II and Math III, and a fourth Math course)
- 3 science credits (Earth Science, Biology, and Physical Science)
- 4 social studies credits (World History, American History, Civics, Economics and Personal Finance)
- 1 health and physical education credit
- 6 elective credits
For information about CFCC graduation ceremonies, visit cfcc.edu/graduation .
OFFICIAL AHS TRANSCRIPTS
To request an official AHS transcript:
- Complete the AHS Transcript Request Form
- Follow the directions on the form for paying the required transcript fee.
- Each AHS transcript costs $5.00. The $5.00 fee is waived for any student entering other CFCC programs.
Once graduated, students will be called and must pick up their diplomas from the AHS office in S-110. AHS diplomas are only issued once. Copies or duplicates are not available.*Holidays are observed by face-to-face classes only