CCP Pathway: Barbering
This pathway will prepare the students for the North Carolina Board Exam, resulting in an apprentice license. The successful student will be qualified to work in an entry-level position in a barbershop or related business. After at least one year of on-the-job training, another exam is given by the Barber Board to issue a Registered Barber License.
WHAT TO EXPECT
If you think the first thing you’re going to do in barber school is cut hair, guess again. You’ll start with a textbook, workbook, and exam review book. It could be at least one to two months before we give you a set of clippers.
First, you’ll learn about the history of barbering, professional image, tools and implements, bacteriology, sterilization, sanitation, and disorders of the skin. With much material to cover, tests will happen weekly.
Class participation is a must. Adherence to program rules and guidelines: also, a must.
You’ll learn more than just cutting hair. We’ll help you fine-tune your professional and accountability skills, too.
Classes are held at our Downtown Campus. Delivery mode is subject to change.
THE CAREER TECHNICAL EDUCATION/WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT PATHWAY (CTE/WCEP)
Tuition-free course hours that lead to technician education certificate, State, or Industry Recognized Credential aligned with a high school career cluster. Students are responsible for the following CFCC fees:
- Parking & Security- $5.00/class
- Technology Fee – $5.00/class
- Textbook – $275.00
- Insurance – $15/class
- Student Permit – $25
- Barber Student Kit – Approximately $815
ELIGIBILITY & ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Be a high school junior or senior.
- Have a weighted GPA of 2.8 on high school courses or your principal’s approval.
- If GPA is lower than 2.8, assessment testing is required.
- For details on eligibility and admissions requirements, please speak to your high school career counselor.
APPLICATION PROCESS* FOR PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- Complete the CTE WCEP Online Application .
- Read Approval Form DocuSign Instructions before proceeding to next step.
- Complete the Career Technical Approval Form .
- SEA Tech – Southeast Area Technical High School
- Note: If your school is not listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Students MUST have their parent’s name and email address before clicking to complete the approval form *Home School & Private School Students, please get in touch with a Workforce Development Coordinator at email@example.com or 910-362-7883 .
Once you have completed your application process (see above*), don’t hesitate to get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to express your intent to enroll in the CTE/WCEP Barbering Pathway.
REGISTRATION DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
Once you have emailed, email@example.com to express intent to enroll in the CTE/WCEP Barbering Pathway, you will receive an email with additional registration instructions. Below outlines the required documentation required to complete your registration.
- CTE WCEP Acceptance Email
- Copy of current High School Transcript must be provided
- Other documentation may be required
ELIGIBILITY FOR CONTINUED ENROLLMENT IN CCP (CTE/WCEP PATHWAY)
To maintain eligibility for continued enrollment, a student must:
- Continue to make progress toward high school graduation.
- Continue to make progress toward successful completion of the Workforce.
- Continuing Education pathway as defined by the pathway syllabus.
- A student who doesn’t meet these criteria will be subject to the college’s policy for unsatisfactory progress.
- For more information about this CCP Pathway application process, available programs, enrollment, and eligibility, please visit your High School Career Counselor.