The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is a 10-week course designed to prepare you for a challenging, interesting and HIGH PAYING career as an electrical lineman.
At the CFCC Electrical Lineworker Training Program you will learn the skills and knowledge required of an apprentice lineman:
- Setting & climbing poles
- Installing cross arms, hardware, lines & transformers
- Using tools & equipment of the trade through field experience
- Overhead & underground construction practices
- Electric theory & practice
- Safety and teamwork
- Commercial driving
An “In-demand” Trade
The Carolina Energy Workforce Consortium (representing North and South Carolina) is addressing a serious shortage of electrical lineworkers. They estimate that the industry will need approximately 800 new linemen each year for the next 5 years. The 2016 median wage for experienced linemen was $60,800/year.
- The Electrical Lineworker Training Program is designed to train persons that wish to become entry-level electrical lineworkers for private and public utility companies and related employers.
- Students will learn the academic and field skills necessary for entry-level workers.
- Safety is stressed in every aspect of the job.
- Students will receive Flagger and OSHA 10 safety training.
- The course is limited to 60 students. Spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Resume and job interview assistance is available.
- Job placement assistance is available. Employers will be on-site to interview graduates following the graduation ceremony. The course is 400 hours and 350 hours are credited to your apprenticeship with your future employer. Utility companies have new employees complete a 4-5 year apprenticeship. Therefore, this 10-week course reduces apprenticeship duration once in a job.
|Details||North Campus, 10 weeks, 400 hours|
|Course Location||Rooms 131 and 135
CFCC North Campus
4500 Blue Clay Road
Castle Hayne, NC 28429
|Current Offering||Class Dates
January 6 — March 16, 2020, M-F, 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.
|Next Offering||March 30 – June 9, 2020, M-F, 8 am – 5 pm
|Future Offerings (Tentative)||July 6 – September 14, 2020, M-F, 8 am – 5 pm
September 28 – December 9, 2020, M-F, 8 am – 5 pm
|DOT Physical & Drug Screen
Dependent upon provider
Students are subject to another drug screen during the class
|$100 & up
|DMV Class A CDL Learner Permit
Learner permit required to obtain license during course
Required and costs may vary
Recommended but not required
Students must have lineman-style boots prior to class start date
- Composite or steel toe
- Slip-on or lace-up
- 8″ – 10″ height preferred
- Recommended: double shank
DOT Physical & Drug Screen
Clean criminal background preferred – no need for copy or proof
Individual employers have the right to select applicants in accordance with their specific policies and procedures. Criminal background checks are completed by most employers. Therefore, CFCC cannot guarantee employment upon graduation.
Current tetanus vaccine recommended – no need for copy or proof
On the Mandatory Orientation Days, please bring copies of the following:
- Proof of high school diploma or GED
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Medical Card/Form – showing proof of DOT physical
- CDL Class A Learner Permit
- Required prior to the first day of class so that you may practice driving for the CDL Test
- NC DMV CDL Info – Note: If you are unable to get your Class A Commercial Driver Learner Permit before the mandatory orientation days, you CAN still come to class but you will be sent back each day to the DMV to continue re-testing for the permit. It is crucial that you get your permit BEFORE class starts so you do not miss any class time or tests.
- DD Form 214 for Veterans
- Minor release form completed and notarized if under 18 years of age
Long pants or jeans
Work boots – Lineman style, composite or steel toe/double shank, slip-on or lace-up, 8″ – 10″ height preferred
- J. Harlen boots
- Red Wing – local in Wilmington, NC
- Tomlinson Sales Co. – local in Wilmington, NC
- Recommended brands are Hall’s or Hoffman
No jewelry – no earrings, necklaces, rings, facial piercings, etc.
- 3-month leases available with utilities included in rent
- Furnished and unfurnished options available
- Call for more information: 910-763-7663
- Short term leases available
- Call for more information: 910-415-1902
- $94 for CFCC students
- 124 Old Eastwood Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Speak with Kim Hale, Area Director of Sales 910-509-0003
- Extended stay hotels
- Realty companies in the local area may also be able to search for extended stay options
- Google search: “student housing in Wilmington, NC” for more available options
- Please visit the CFCC Lineworker Training Housing Facebook Group if you are interested in finding a classmate to room with.