This course is designed to provide sonographers the didactic, lab instruction and independent clinical practice necessary to perform entry-level musculoskeletal (MSK) sonography.
Course work includes scan protocols for the upper and lower extremities, anatomy and normal sonographic appearances, pathological processes and their sonographic appearances, pediatric MSK applications, interventional studies, and rheumatology applications.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to recognize and acquire basic MSK images, correlate sonographic images with anatomical structures, recognize pathological processes, and assist with interventional procedures. Completion of this course should satisfy the recommendation for CME hours prior to taking the ARDMS MSKS examination or the APCA MSK examination.
Weekly Lab Sessions: 4 hours – students will complete weekly lab assignments for submission through BlackBoard.
Weekly Clinical Hours: 6 hours – In order to develop skills in image acquisition and recognition of normal anatomy, students must have access to sonography equipment in their current place of employment or secure a location in their area to practice MSK scanning. MSK protocols and target images will be provided to students during the course and students will be required to submit images weekly to the course instructor. Image critiques and feedback will be provided to students. Clinical hours will prepare students for the two face-to-face lab sessions with course instructors.
On-campus Labs: 2 Weekend labs, 16 hours each (Saturday – 8 hrs. and Sunday – 8 hrs.) Attendance is required at two face-to-face lab sessions on the CFCC Downtown Campus.
Lower Extremity Lab – Saturday, May 1 – Sunday, May 2, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- ARDMS – American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- ARRT(S) – American Registry for Radiologic Technology – Sonography
OR hold and be practicing as one of the following designations with a valid medical license in good standing without any conditions or restrictions to practice medicine:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) earned outside North America
- Doctor of Chiropractic (DC)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Physiotherapist \ Physical Therapist (PT)
Documentation of current certification or license is needed. Prior sonography experience will be helpful for this fast-paced course.
Textbooks: $215.00 – $305.00 (*see optional Flashcard flipbook in TEXTS below)
Travel and lodging for out of town students: variable
- Moore, R., Sonography of the extremities: Techniques and protocols (fourth revision). Cincinnati, OH: (n.p.)
- Jacobson, J., (2017). Fundamentals of musculoskeletal ultrasound (3rd). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323445252
Required textbooks are available for purchase at the CFCC Bookstore .
Moore, R., Sonography of the extremities: Techniques and protocols Flashcards. Cincinnati, OH: (n.p.)