This course is designed to provide sonographers with the didactic, lab instruction, and independent clinical practice necessary to perform entry-level musculoskeletal (MSK) sonography.
Coursework includes scan protocols for the upper and lower extremities, anatomy and regular sonographic appearances, pathological processes and their sonographic appearances, pediatric MSK applications, interventional studies, and rheumatology applications.
Upon completing this course, students should be able to recognize and acquire basic MSK images, correlate sonographic images with anatomical structures, recognize pathological processes, and assist with interventional procedures. Completing this course should satisfy the recommendation for CME hours prior to taking the ARDMS MSKS examination or the APCA MSK examination.
Course Structure — Hybrid
Weekly Lab Sessions: 4 hours – students will complete weekly lab assignments for submission through BlackBoard.
Weekly Clinical Hours: 6 hours – To develop skills in image acquisition and recognition of normal anatomy, students must have access to sonography equipment in their current place of employment or secure a location in their area to practice MSK scanning. MSK protocols and target images will be provided to students during the course and students will be required to submit images weekly to the course instructor. Image critiques and feedback will be provided to students. Clinical hours will prepare students for the two face-to-face lab sessions with course instructors.
On-campus Labs: 2 Weekend labs, 16 hours each (Saturday – 8 hrs. and Sunday – 8 hrs.) Attendance is required at two face-to-face lab sessions on the CFCC Downtown Campus.
On-Campus Lab Dates — Attendance is Required for Both Labs
Lower Extremity Lab – Saturday, April 29 – Sunday, April 30, 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
- ARDMS – American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- ARRT(S) – American Registry for Radiologic Technology – Sonography
OR hold and be practicing as one of the following designations with a valid medical license in good standing without any conditions or restrictions to practice medicine:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) earned outside North America
- Doctor of Chiropractic (DC)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Physiotherapist \ Physical Therapist (PT)
Documentation of current certification or license is needed. Prior sonography experience will be helpful for this fast-paced course.
- $180 registration fee
- $520 materials fee
- $5 technical fee
Textbooks: $215.00 – $305.00*
*Required textbooks are available as eBooks which may reduce the overall cost.
*Optional MSK Masters Flashcard Flipbook is available at an additional cost. See information in TEXTS below.
- Moore, R., Sonography of the extremities: Techniques and protocols (fourth revision). Cincinnati, OH: (n.p.)
- Jacobson, J., (2017). Fundamentals of musculoskeletal ultrasound (3rd). Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323445252
Required textbooks are available for purchase at the CFCC Bookstore .
Moore, R., Sonography of the extremities: Techniques and protocols Flashcards. Cincinnati, OH: (n.p.)
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Wilmington Riverfront – .2 Miles
- Hampton Inn Wilmington Downtown – .3 miles
- Courtyard by Marriott – .3 miles
- Hotel Ballast Riverfront Downtown Wilmington – .2 miles
- Airbnb – Wilmington Stays – variable