The Essentials Program offers free Academic and Career Readiness classes to those functioning at or below the 8th-grade level who wish to improve their reading, writing, math, and computer literacy skills and who have a desire to work. Take advantage of every opportunity we have to offer and enroll in our Essentials Program today.
We encourage adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities to apply!
- Must have a desire to work or volunteer
- Call 910-362-7457 and schedule an interview with the program coordinator
- Achieve valid scores on the CASAS placement test
- Present a picture ID and Social Security card
Students will have the chance to enroll in additional Career Pathway classes. These classes introduce career opportunities while teaching students the skills needed in order to succeed in those careers. We offer an exploration class each session in order to maintain accessibility for students who are interested in different fields of study and work.
Our career pathways are based on local and regional employment needs. These additional and optional pathway classes will earn students a Continuing Education Certificate upon successful completion. Associated fees apply.
Pathways Have Included:
- Hospitality and Tourism – This course provides an overview of the hospitality and tourism industry. Covered topics include customer service, sanitation and food safety, and career opportunities.
- Computer Basics – This course is designed to introduce students to basic computer functions and usage. Emphasis is placed on developing basic personal computer skills.
- Healthcare Basics 1 – This course is designed to introduce students to basic healthcare concepts. Coursework can include but is not limited to medical terminology, infection control, hygiene, medical emergencies, personal care, nutrition, and career opportunities.