Truck Driver Training
Truck Driver Training prepares individuals to drive tractor-trailer rigs. This program teaches proper driving procedures, safe driver responsibility, commercial motor vehicle laws and regulations, and the basic principles and practices for operating commercial vehicles.
The coursework includes motor vehicle laws and regulations, map reading, vehicle maintenance, safety procedures, daily logs, defensive driving, freight handling, security, and fire protection. Highway driving, training range exercises, and classroom lectures develop the student’s knowledge and skills.
Graduates of the curriculum are qualified to take the Commercial Driver’s License Exam and gain employment with commercial trucking firms. They may also become owner-operators and work as private contract haulers.
Truck Driver Training Information Packet
Note: Certain convictions (if convicted within the last 5 years) can prohibit entry to the program.
Need help studying for your CDL Permit?
Prepare to pass the CDL permit test with CFCC’s 20-hour, online CDL Permit Prep class. The self-paced course covers the three parts of the CDL Permit Exam: Air Brakes, General Knowledge, and Combination Vehicle. Sign up for a class today!
NEED HELP STUDYING FOR YOUR HAZMAT ENDORSEMENT?
Prepare to pass the DMV Hazmat Endorsement test with CFCC’s 26-hour, online Hazmat Endorsement Prep class. The self-paced course covers the hazmat regulations and proper handling of packaging and transport of hazardous materials. Sign up for a class today!
NEED A QUICK REFRESHER ON LAWS/REGULATIONS, LOGGING, AND BASIC MANEUVERS?
The CDL Refresher course is designed to bring students who have an active CDL up to date on FMCSA regulations and make sure that they can safely operate a commercial vehicle. Students who register must have an active Class-A or Class-B Commercial Driver’s License. Current DOT physical and non-certified DMV Driving Record required. DOT drug screen completed within 30 days of the class start date also required. (Cannot be more than 30 days old.) Sign up for a class today!
Day and evening classes are offered. The day class runs 8 weeks and the evening class runs 10 weeks. Inclement weather may affect the daily schedule.
The Truck Driver Training class is 394 hours with approximately 80% on the range/road and approximately 20% hours in the classroom including online learning. Students will need access to a computer, laptop or tablet to complete the course.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is open until class reaches maximum capacity. Students can register:
- Online at cfcc-register.fundfive.com/filtered/course/truckdriver
- OR they can register in person on the 5th floor of the Union Station building on the CFCC Downtown Wilmington Campus
To ensure you are prepared for class, follow these instructions .
NOTE: If you do not have your CDL Class A Permit by the 3rd day AND your DOT Drug Screen Results by the 5th day YOU WILL NOT be able to drive or participate in lab hours! (Please note: DOT Drug Screens cannot be more than 30 days old.)
|October 17 – December 13, 2022|
|December 16 – February 21, 2023|
|February 24 – April 21, 2023|
|April 25 – June 20, 2023|
|June 23 – August 18, 2023|
|October 17, 2022 – January 5, 2023|
|January 9 – March 20, 2023|
|March 24 – June 5, 2023|
|June 9 – August 18, 2023|
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid NC Driver’s License
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to converse and follow directions of law enforcement
- Long Form Physical and DOT Medical Certificate
- Drug Screen Results
- DMV Driving Record
- NC Driver’s License
- Class A CDL Learner’s Permit with Tanker Endorsement
A high school diploma or GED is not a requirement for enrollment to this program!
- Felony drug possession charge
- License Suspension
- Refusal to take a chemical test
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Careless and reckless
- More than three (3) moving violations
|Registration Fee||$690.00 (increasing to $890 beginning Jan. 2023)|
|DOT Physical and Drug Screen (Cannot be more than 30 days old)
Any local provider (regular doctor or Urgent Care)
|$100 & up|
|Class A CDL Permit w/ Tanker Endorsement
(non-certified copy @ www.ncdot.org/dmv)
North Campus Bookstore
|Check North Campus bookstore for pricing.|
- Motor Carriers’ Road Atlas
- Federal Motor Carriers Safety
- Two (2) Drivers Daily Logbooks
- Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual
- HOS Handbook
- Vehicle Sizes & Weight Handbook
*Prices are subject to change. Please check North Campus bookstore for pricing.
*Each student is required to have all books with them daily
Textbooks can be purchased at the CFCC Bookstore online or in person. Visit cfcc.edu/bookstore for more hours and location information.
Additional Items Needed
- Book Bag
- Clipboard / Desk–Mate
- 6” ruler
- Small Calculator
- Rain Suit
- Work Gloves
- DOT Physical and DOT Drug Screen: Obtain “Long Form Physical” and Medical Certificate. Drug screening results are to be emailed to email@example.com by your medical facility. (Please note: The DOT drug screen cannot be more than 30 days old.)
- Obtain a Class A CDL Permit: To obtain a Class A CDL Permit: Study sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and Tanker endorsements in the North Carolina Commercial Driver’s Manual. The following test must be passed by 80% or higher.
A. General Knowledge
B. Combination Vehicles
C. Air Brakes
D. Tanker Endorsement
X – Interstate Non-Exempt
North Carolina Driver’s License, Social Security Card, and DOT Medical Card must be presented at DMV
- Driving History Record: A non-certified copy may be obtained online @ www.ncdot.org/dmv for the cost of $10.00 or you can fill out this DL-DPPA-1 form and mail in. Allow ten working days to receive your record. Print your history after your CDL permit has been issued. It must show on your driving history record. This record must be within the last 30 days.
Join us the first Wednesday of every month from 3 – 4 pm at North Campus in the NA Building, Room 229.