Truck Driver Training
Truck Driver Training prepares individuals to drive tractor-trailer rigs. This program teaches proper driving procedures, safe driver responsibility, commercial motor vehicle laws and regulations, and the basic principles and practices for operating commercial vehicles.
The coursework includes motor vehicle laws and regulations, map reading, vehicle maintenance, safety procedures, daily logs, defensive driving, freight handling, security, and fire protection. Highway driving, training range exercises, and classroom lectures develop the student’s knowledge and skills.
Graduates of the curriculum are qualified to take the Commercial Driver’s License Exam and gain employment with commercial trucking firms. They may also become owner-operators and work as private contract haulers.
Need help studying for your CDL Permit?
Prepare to pass the CDL permit test with CFCC’s 20-hour, online CDL Permit Prep class. The self-paced course covers the three parts of the CDL Permit Exam: Air Brakes, General Knowledge, and Combination Vehicle. Sign up for a class today!
NEED HELP STUDYING FOR YOUR HAZMAT ENDORSEMENT?
Prepare to pass the DMV Hazmat Endorsement test with CFCC’s 26-hour, online Hazmat Endorsement Prep class. The self-paced course covers the hazmat regulations and proper handling of packaging and transport of hazardous materials. Sign up for a class today!
Day and evening classes are offered. The day class runs 8 weeks and the evening class runs 10 weeks. Inclement weather may affect the daily schedule.
The Truck Driver Training class is 434 hours with approximately 80% on the range/road and approximately 20% hours in the classroom including online learning. Students will need access to a computer, laptop or tablet to complete the course.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Search and register available classes below. If the class date you are interested in is no longer available email us at email@example.com to be put on the waiting list. Include your full name, email address, phone number and class you want to be put on the waiting list for.Search and Register for Upcoming Courses
To ensure you are prepared for class, follow these instructions .
NOTE: If you do not have your CDL Class A Permit AND your DOT Drug Screen Results by the 1st day YOU WILL NOT be admitted to the program! You will have the option to transfer to a later class or request a refund. (DOT Drug Screens must be completed within 30 days prior to first day of class.)
If you’ve had a DUI/DWI in the last year, call Vanessa at 910-362-7065 to discuss further.
Optional additional backing practice is 7 am – 8 am Monday – Friday. Further explanation will be provided on the first day of class.
|January 8 – March 4, 2024|
|March 11 – May 3, 2024|
|May 6 – June 28, 2024|
|July 1 – August 26, 2024|
|September 3 – October 28, 2024|
Optional additional backing practice is 4:30 – 5:30 pm Monday – Friday. Further explanation will be provided on the first night of class.
|January 29 – April 5, 2024|
|April 8 – June 17, 2024|
|June 24 – September 3, 2024|
|September 9 – November 15, 2024|
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid NC Driver’s License
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to converse and follow directions of law enforcement
- Obtain your CDL Class A Permit with Tanker Endorsement: Study sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and Tanker in the DMV Driver’s Manual. Take the following multiple choice tests at the DMV: General Knowledge, Combination Vehicles, Air Brakes and Tanker Endorsement.
- DOT Physical: Schedule an appointment with your healthcare provider or local urgent care for a DOT Physical. Be sure they give you a copy of the physical along with the Medical Certificate page. We recommend any Medac location.
NO MORE THAN 30 DAYS PRIOR TO CLASS DO THE FOLLOWING:
- DOT Drug Screen: Visit your local urgent care & ask for a DOT 5 Panel Drug Screen. We recommend any Medac location. This is in addition to your physical. It is not the urine sample taken at the time of your physical. DO NOT go less than 7 days prior to the start of class. Results MUST be received by the start of class in order to stay enrolled.
- DMV Driving Record: Download/Screenshot your non-certified DMV Driving Record AFTER you’ve passed your permit tests.
If these documents are not received by the start of class you will not be permitted to begin class. You will be transferred to the following class or can request a refund.
For a 100% refund, requests must be received before class starts.
|DOT Physical and Drug Screen (Drug Screen must be completed within 30 days prior to first day of class)
Any local provider (regular doctor or Urgent Care)
|$100 & up|
|Class A CDL Permit w/ Tanker Endorsement
|Non-Certified Driving Record
(non-certified copy @ www.ncdot.org/dmv)
North Campus Bookstore
|Check North Campus bookstore for pricing.|
- Motor Carriers’ Road Atlas
- Federal Motor Carriers Safety
- Two (2) Drivers Daily Logbooks
- Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual
- HOS Handbook
- Vehicle Sizes & Weight Handbook
*Prices are subject to change. Please check North Campus bookstore for pricing.
*Each student is required to have all books with them daily
Textbooks can be purchased at the CFCC Bookstore online or in person. Visit cfcc.edu/bookstore for more hours and location information.
Additional Items Needed
- Book Bag
- Clipboard / Desk–Mate
- 6” ruler
- Small Calculator
- Rain Suit
- Work Gloves
Join us the first Wednesday of every month from 3 – 4 pm at North Campus in the NA Building, Room 229.