Truck Driver Training
Truck Driver Training prepares individuals to drive tractor-trailers rigs. This program teaches proper driving procedures, safe driver responsibility, commercial motor vehicle laws and regulations, and the basic principles and practices for operating commercial vehicles.
The coursework includes motor vehicle laws and regulations, map reading, vehicle maintenance, safety procedures, daily logs, defensive driving, freight handling, security, and fire protection. Highway driving, training range exercises, and classroom lectures are used to develop the student’s knowledge and skills.
Graduates of the curriculum are qualified to take the Commercial Driver’s License Exam and gain employment with commercial trucking firms. They may also become owner-operators and work as private contract haulers.
Truck Driver Training Information Packet
Note: Certain convictions (if convicted within the last 5 years) can prohibit entry to the program.
Need help studying for your CDL Permit?
Prepare to pass the CDL permit test with CFCC’s 20-hour, online CDL Permit Prep class. The self-paced course covers the three parts of the CDL Permit Exam: Air Brakes, General Knowledge, and Combination Vehicle. Sign up for a class today!
Day and evening classes are offered. The day class runs 6.5 weeks and the evening class runs 10 weeks. Inclement weather may affect the daily schedule.
The Truck Driver Training class is 330 hours with 256 on the range/road and 74 hours in the classroom including online learning. Students will need access to a computer, laptop or tablet to complete the course.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is open until class reaches maximum capacity. Students can register:
- Online at cfcc-register.fundfive.com/filtered/course/truckdriver
- OR they can register in person on the 5th floor of the Union Station building on the CFCC Downtown Wilmington Campus
|January 19 – March 3, 2021|
|March 8 – April 21, 2021|
|April 26 – June 9, 2021|
|June 14 – July 28, 2021|
|August 2 – September 15, 2021|
|September 20 – November 2, 2021|
|November 8 – December 23, 2021|
|February 15 – April 23, 2021|
|April 27 – July 7, 2021|
|July 12 – September 20, 2021|
|September 23 – December 3, 2021|
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid NC Driver’s License
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to converse and follow directions of law enforcement
- Long Form Physical and DOT Medical Certificate
- Drug Screen Results
- DMV Driving Record
- NC Driver’s License
- Class A CDL Learner’s Permit with Tanker Endorsement
A high school diploma or GED is not a requirement for enrollment to this program!
- Felony drug possession charge
- License Suspension
- Refusal to take a chemical test
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Careless and reckless
- More than three (3) moving violations
|DOT Physical and Drug Screen
Any local provider (regular doctor or Urgent Care)
|$100 & up|
|Class A CDL Permit w/ Tanker Endorsement
(non-certified copy @ www.ncdot.org/dmv)
North Campus Bookstore
|Check North Campus bookstore for pricing.|
- Motor Carriers’ Road Atlas
- Federal Motor Carriers Safety
- Two (2) Drivers Daily Logbooks
- Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual
- HOS Handbook
- Vehicle Sizes & Weight Handbook
*Prices subject to change. Please check North Campus bookstore for pricing.
*Each student required to have all books with them daily
Textbooks can be purchased at the CFCC Bookstore online or in-person. Visit cfcc.edu/bookstore for more hours and location information.
Additional Items Needed
- Book Bag
- Clipboard / Desk–Mate
- 6” ruler
- Small Calculator
- Rain Suit
- Work Gloves
- DOT Physical and DOT Drug Screen: Obtain “Long Form Physical” and Medical Certificate. Drug screening results are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by your medical facility.
- Obtain a Class A CDL Permit: To obtain a Class A CDL Permit: Study sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and Tanker endorsements in the North Carolina Commercial Driver’s Manual. The following test must be passed by 80% or higher.
A. General Knowledge
B. Combination Vehicles
C. Air Brakes
D. Tanker Endorsement
X – Interstate Non-Exempt
North Carolina Driver’s License, Social Security Card, and DOT Medical Card must be presented at DMV
- Driving History Record: A non-certified copy may be obtained online @ www.ncdot.org/dmv for the cost of $10.00 or you can fill out this DL-DPPA-1 form and mail in. Allow ten working days to receive your record. Print your history after your CDL permit has been issued. It must show on your driving history record. This record must be within the last 30 days.