Associate in Fine Arts – Music
Every credit a student earns at CFCC in the Associate of Fine Arts-Music program will count toward a degree at any one of the 16 institutions in the UNC System. CFCC also has special articulation agreements with other universities across the state and beyond for students who want to pursue a fine arts education at the university level. Students who successfully complete an AFA degree can transfer to a receiving school as a junior.
In addition, the college offers music courses that count as elective requirements for other two-year degrees including performance ensembles, instrument and voice lessons, Music Appreciation, Introduction to Jazz and more. Whether you are interested in pursuing music as a career or for personal enrichment, Cape Fear Community College can help you reach your goal.
Here’s how it works:
- Once you become a CFCC student, meet with a CFCC Academic Advisor and discuss your long-term goals.
- Connect with the transfer institution of your choice, and familiarize yourself with their transfer requirements.
- Keep your grades up and make sure to use CFCC’s student resources to help you be successful.
See AFA-Music Program Information See AFA-Music Pathway for High School Students
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will have a strong understanding of music theory and learn how to apply and explain how it applies to their own music performance.
- Students will expand range of instrument and vocal techniques and new approaches to learning.
- Students will effectively communicate about their performance and the work of their peers, including process and concept, while providing and receiving criticism.
- Students will develop competence in music performance skills, techniques, and be proficient in performing a piece from at least one music style period.
- Students will develop the discipline to work independently, using critical thinking skills to solve music performance issues, both technically and conceptually.
- Students will learn all the components of holding a successful community or civic event.