Cape Fear Community College full-time employees automatically become members of the North Carolina Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System (TSERS) . Employees contribute 6 percent of their pre-tax salaries into the system.Retirement Handbook 2019
Members of the retirement system become vested after a minimum of five years of retirement service credit (including service with other agencies). Vesting means that you are eligible to apply for lifetime monthly retirement benefits once you meet the minimum age and service requirements set forth by the retirement formula (as long as you do not withdraw your contributions).
Employees may retire with unreduced benefits after:
Employees may retire early with a reduced benefit after:
If you were first hired prior to October 1, 2006, after you retire the state will pay the same amount of employee-only premium as the College pays for active employees. If you were hired on or after October 1, 2006, you must have 20 or more years of creditable service to receive this full benefit. If you have between ten and 20 years of service, the state will pay 50 percent. If you retire with five to ten years of service, you must pay the full premium. Beginning January 1, 2014, Medicare-primary retirees have a new set of State Health Plan options available.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ORBIT and how do I begin?
- For active members
- For retirees
- See Personal Retirement Information Resource for Active Members
- How do I designate or change my beneficiaries?
- Log in to ORBIT (Note: If you have not used ORBIT before, you will need to register first. To complete the registration, you need to supply your Social Security number, birth date, and zip code.)
- Once logged in, click on the “Maintain Beneficiaries” tab on the left-hand side of the screen.
- On the next screen, you can view your beneficiaries, and use the add, edit and delete features to change your beneficiary(ies).
New Hire Information
- TSERS Welcome Flyer
- TSERS Quick Reference Guide
- TSERS Benefit Highlights
- Total Retirement Plan Comparison Chart for information on how to enroll or transfer accounts, please contact Prudential .
- Retirement Checklist
- Register/Login to your ORBIT account to view your retirement account information and access estimators and forms
- Attend a retirement planning conference or view a conference video
- View information on retirement eligibility, using your sick leave, estimating retirement benefits, and more through ORBIT’s Retirement Planning website.
- State Health Plan preparing for retirement resources
- For questions regarding Medicare:
- NC Retirement Systems Supplemental Benefits: After retirement, you will have the option to enroll in vision, dental, or identity theft benefits provided by Pierce Insurance