Home / Human Resources / Current Employees / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

General Human Resources Office Questions

How can I check my leave balances?

You can view all of your current leave balances and request time off by logging in to TimeClock Plus. TimeClock Plus may be accessed by logging in to MyCFCC – Employees Only – TCP Employees

How do I update my address?

If you are a current employee (full or part-time), you will need to fill out the online Employee Address Change Request . This form can be found on the intranet under business forms. The submitted form will automatically contact the necessary staff members, and we will distribute the information to our benefit providers for you.[/cehanll2]

How do I update my name?

Before we can change your name in the system, you must apply for a new Social Security Card and bring us a copy in the human resources office. We will distribute the information to our benefit providers for you.

How can I review or make copies of my official personnel file?

Contact the Human Resources in advance by completing the Official Personnel File Access Request form . Complete the form and provide it to the human resources office. It may be faxed to 910-362-7259 or submitted in person.

Human Resources will then contact you to schedule an appointment to review the file.

You must provide valid photo identification at the appointment in order to view the file.

Benefits Questions

What benefits are available to employees?

We offer the State Health Plan, optional benefits such as dental and vision, state retirement, optional supplemental retirement, and earned leave.

Who is eligible to participate in benefits?

Full-time employees may participate in the State Health Plan, optional benefits, and any of the supplemental retirement plans. Full-time employees also earn leave.

How can I drop or add dependents to my insurance, or cancel my insurance?

Changes made to your insurance must be done during open enrollment or within 30 days of a qualifying event. Examples of a qualifying event include marriage, divorce, loss or gain of other coverage, birth, and death. Open enrollment occurs in the fall and will be widely advertised on campus. Contact the HR Office at benefits@cfcc.edu for more information.

Retirement Questions

How do I change/select my beneficiaries for my death benefit?

Visit the retirement system website and register for the ORBIT system. Once you have logged in, you will have the option to select your beneficiaries by clinking on the view account summary.

Can I contribute more (or less) than 6 percent of my salary to the retirement system? Can I take out a loan or cash out some of my contributions?

No, the 6 percent is mandatory and no more or no less may be contributed. If you would like to contribute more toward your retirement future, you may participate in one of the [LINK]optional supplemental plans. The retirement system does not allow loans and you may only withdraw your contributions if you are no longer employed full-time with the state.

When can I retire? How much will I get?

Employees may apply for retirement a maximum of 120 days before the desired retirement date and are encouraged to apply earlier rather than later to ensure a smooth transition period. Human Resources will keep this information confidential until the employee submits a letter of resignation (ideally at least one month prior to retirement).

Criteria for retirement can be found here or on the state retirement website . Note: The state retirement website also provides retirement estimate calculators and the option to request an estimate by contacting the retirement system directly.

If I no longer work for the state, what happens to my retirement contributions?

You may elect to remove the contributions and forfeit any accumulated service time, roll the funds over to your own IRA, or leave the funds in the retirement system. If you are vested in the system, leaving your funds would allow you to draw retirement once you reach age eligibility. If you are not yet vested but anticipate that you may work full-time for the state again one day, leaving your funds in the system would allow you to pick up where you left off in terms of accumulated service time.

What is the Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is the United States’ federal wage and hour law, administered by the US Department of Labor (DOL). Among other things, it establishes the federal minimum wage and sets overtime pay requirements for employees in the private and government sectors.

Under the FLSA, some employees are exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the law and some are nonexempt. The FLSA requires that all non-exempt workers be paid overtime (usually one-and-one-half times their regular rate of pay) for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek. Cape Fear Community College awards compensatory time off in lieu of payment for overtime to non-exempt employees at the rate of one and one-half hours for each hour beyond regularly assigned 40 weekly work hours.

What does being “non-exempt” mean?

If your position is non-exempt, it means that you are required to document actual hours/time worked on a timecard that your supervisor must sign each month and are eligible to earn compensatory time off in lieu of payment for overtime.

Will the College require employees to accrue compensatory time in lieu of paying at the overtime rate?

Yes, state and local government employers can pay their nonexempt employees at least 1 ½ hours of paid compensatory time off for each hour of overtime worked rather than paying a premium rate for the overtime. Employees can view the CFCC compensatory time policy in the  CFCC Faculty and Staff Handbook .

How are actual hours worked to be recorded?

Non-exempt employees must record all time worked on the timecard form. This means employees must document all time worked. Use of annual leave and sick leave are also recorded on the timecard form.

What is compensatory time?

CFCC awards compensatory time off in lieu of payment for overtime to non-exempt employees at the rate of one and one-half hours for each hour beyond regularly assigned 40 weekly work hours. If overtime occurs on weekends or holidays, the ratio moves to two to one. Supervisors should make every effort to avoid situations that require a non-exempt employee to exceed the 40-hour workweek. In no case in a non-exempt employee schedule himself/herself for overtime work. Compensatory time must be taken in the pay period in which overtime is worked. When overtime occurs late in the pay period, compensatory time must be taken before other vacation or bonus leave is requested.

Where can I find more information about the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA?)

More information can be found at the United States Department of Labor .
Translate »