Employees, students, visitors, and contractors are prohibited from using tobacco products at any time on college property as well as on any spaces where college-sponsored or college-related activities are held, including during non-instructional and non-service hours.
Cape Fear Community College is committed to a Tobacco-Free Campus to ensure the health and safety of its students, employees and visitors of the College. Cape Fear Community College
recognizes the use of tobacco products on college premises is detrimental to the health and safety of its students, employees and visitors and exercises the legal authority to prohibit tobacco use pursuant to G.S. 143-599.
For the purposes of this policy, tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, bidis, hookahs, smokeless or spit tobacco or snuff, e-cigarettes or any product simulating smoking instruments.
Use of tobacco is prohibited by students, employees, and visitors:
• In all campus buildings, facilities or property owned, maintained, or leased by Cape Fear Community College and outside areas of the campus;
• On campus grounds, facilities, or in vehicles that are the property of the college;
• In personal vehicles while on property owned or leased by Cape Fear Community College;
• At lectures, conferences, meetings, athletic, social, and cultural events held on college
• Except at a specific location(s) on the North Campus, Surf City and Burgaw Centers as approved by the College President due to unsafe conditions going off-campus.
The sale or free distribution of tobacco products, including merchandise, on campus or at College sponsored events is prohibited.
Student organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies,including, but not limited to:
• Events sponsored by tobacco companies and allowing them to distribute free, reduced-price, or fully priced tobacco products (T-shirts, hats, etc.) on campus;
• All tobacco advertising, such as billboards and signs in all campus buildings, facilities or property owned or leased and operated by Cape Fear Community College.
• Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications and on grounds or facilities,including athletic facilities, owned or operated by Cape Fear Community College.
• Cape Fear Community College will provide access to tobacco cessation programs on campus.These tobacco treatment programs shall be publicized regularly in student, and employee publications, by Student Services and/or Human Resources respectively.
Implementation and Compliance
To assist with compliance of this policy, the college provides appropriate signage and other physical indicators. Violators of the policy shall be issued a verbal reminder. Employees who
repeatedly violate the policy shall be referred to their supervisor, and if warranted, Human Resources. Repeated violations by employees can result in further personnel action such as verbal or written reprimand. In accordance with the Cape Fear Community College Student Code of Conduct, students who violate this policy shall be referred to the Dean of Students for disciplinary action. Visitors who repeatedly violate the policy shall be asked to leave campus, and if warranted, referred to Campus Safety.