The program will prepare the students for the North Carolina Board Exam which will result in an apprentice license. The successful student will be qualified to work in an entry-level position in a barbershop or related business. After at least one year of on the job training, another exam is given by the Barber Board to issue a Registered Barber License.
Full-Time Day Program
8 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Part-Time Day Program
8 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
Part-Time Night Program
Tuesday-Friday 5 – 9:45 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
What to Expect
First, you’ll learn about the history of barbering, professional image, tools and implements, bacteriology, sterilization, sanitation, and disorders of the skin. With much material to cover, tests will happen weekly.
Class participation is a must. Adherence to program rules and guidelines: also, a must.
You’ll learn more than just cutting hair. We’ll help you fine-tune your professional and accountability skills, too.
- Student Permit: $25 (due at registration). Payable with credit/debit card to NC Board of Barber Examiners
- Tuition: $190 per course (due at registration). 4 courses projected will be a total of $760
- Insurance: $15 (due at registration.) Due each fiscal year
- Barber Student Kit: Approximately $815. This kit contains equipment that you will carry with you to your first job. (must be purchased before the first day of class)
- Books: $275 (must be purchased before the first day of class).
- The total cost to purchase books, kit, and initial application, tuition, and insurance total approximately $1,118. The total cost for the entire program will total only approximately $1,700. This is an excellent price for learning a new career!
Pre-registration for the next full-time day barber class 1001 will start on August 10, 2023, and end on August 24, 2023, or when all seats are filled. The start date for this class is scheduled for September 5, 2023. **We cannot hold seats, and registration for this class cannot be done before this date or online.**
Part-Time Day Class | Meets: Monday – Friday 8 AM – 1:15 PM
Pre-Registration for the next part-time day barber class 1004 will start on July 17, 2023, and end on August 2, 2023, or when all seats are filled. The start date for this class is scheduled for August 17, 2023. **We cannot hold seats, and registration for this class cannot be done before this date or online.**
Part-Time Night Class | Meets: Tuesday – Friday 5 – 9:45 PM and Saturday 8 AM – 2 PM
Pre-Registration for the next part-time night barber class 1004 will start on July 17, 2023, and end on August 2, 2023, or when all seats are filled. The start date for this class is scheduled for August 15, 2023. This is a hybrid class; internet access and a computer are a requirement. **We cannot hold seats, and registration for this class cannot be done before this date or online.**
Please Note: For all barbering 1004 classes, you must have a pre-requisite of barbering 1001,1002, 1003, or have been previously enrolled in a barbering program.
Completed the application to enroll in barber school (only available at the barber school), including a $25.00 student permit fee payable with debit/credit card only (non-refundable).
Register at the downtown campus at 108 Walnut Street “Building Z” Corner of Walnut and Front between the hours of 8 am – 4 pm Monday – Thursday. *** Registration for this course cannot be done online.***
Please pay attention to the registration date and times for the program you are registering to prevent an unnecessary trip.
Items Needed on Day of Registration
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED
- $200 Payable in Cash/Credit Card/Check or Money Order for School Registration Fee
- $25 Student permit fee payable by Debit/Credit Card (cannot be paid in cash) This fee is “non-refundable”
- Completed “Application to Enroll in Barber School”(only available at the barber school), including $25.00 student permit fee payable with debit/credit card only. NOTE: Effective October 1, 2016, the NC State Board will no longer require students to obtain FBI background checks for student permits prior to registration. Instead, the board will be conducting their own FBI background checks through a private vendor.
- Completed CFCC Continuing Education Registration Form. Registration form must be accompanied by $200 which includes the tuition fee of $185 for the first course and the insurance fee of $15.
- Students must bring proof of High School graduation or GED. A copy of the diploma or transcripts must be provided to NC Barber Board.
***Please note: Students must satisfy any unpaid fees to CFCC, before registration. Flags on the student record will cause the registration to be denied.
An interview with the instructor is required before registration. Bring your questions! He is in the classroom all day so most phone calls are returned at the end of the day. Monday through Thursday between 10:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. are good times to stop by. The address of the barber school is 108 Walnut Street. We are on the downtown campus near the corner of Front and Walnut street in the “Z” Building
If you have any questions, or if I can be of any further assistance, let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
Any student admitted to CFCC Barber School will make sure that the instructor has the correct name, address, phone numbers, and emergency contact information on file in the event it becomes necessary to contact the student or if an emergency occurs.
Female earrings should not be larger than a quarter size, for safety reasons no other body piercings should be visible male or female.
Long necklaces should be secured inside your shirt, two rings, one bracelet, and one watch are permitted.
Students must practice good hygiene, be neat in appearance and dress, hair and beards must be neatly trimmed, no strong perfumes or fragrances should be worn that could become disruptive.
Barber jackets must be clean and worn as a top garment zipped or buttoned up neatly at all times while clocked in.
For clarification on dress code please ask Instructor. Any student not dressed accordingly will be asked to leave and correct dress.
Note: These items are available at the CFCC Bookstores .
- MindTap: Milady Standard Barbering
- MindTap Beauty & Wellness for Milady Standard Barbering 24 Months – ISBN: 9781305663992
The student will need a laptop or tablet for this class. Chromecast laptops and tablets can also be purchased at the bookstore .
- Students are required to purchase kits through an agent chosen by the school to ensure the correct materials are received and their materials are consistent with what is deemed necessary for proper instruction. Students are required to have kits purchased prior to their given start date.
- The student will need a laptop or tablet for this class. Chromecast laptops and tablets can be purchased at the bookstore .
Rules and Regulations
- ID cards are required to be worn at all times on school premises
- Smocks are required to be worn on-premises and zipped up at all times
- Profanity is prohibited
- No student is allowed to leave the premises for break or lunch without clocking out
- Phone calls should be made/ returned on authorized breaks. It violates the NCBBE regulation for a student to take a break without being clocked out.
- CFCC is a non-smoking facility. Students who smoke must leave the premises completely to smoke. Students cannot smoke in their own vehicle on college property. College property includes any facility owned or rented by the College.
- Lack of professional ethical conduct
- Students are to follow all safety and practical procedures
Barbering is a profession that requires the practitioner’s conduct to function at an optimum level. Students are expected to follow a code of professional conduct and ethics.
Cape Fear Community College Barber School will not tolerate a student’s disrespect of self, fellow students, customers, NCBBE representatives, educators, or any other CFCC staff.
Cape Fear Community College Barber School is certified by the North Carolina State Board of Barber Examiners. The Board reserves the right to inspect any time during the facility’s hours of operation. The Board has fines that will be bestowed upon the school if certain rules are not followed. Please be advised that any fine received by the school that is caused by a student not following rules will be the sole responsibility of that student.