Class of 2022 high school grads, your first two years at CFCC can be FREE! FIND OUT HOW
Home / Financial Aid / Withdrawals and Financial Aid

Withdrawals and Financial Aid

If you need to withdraw from Cape Fear Community College at a time after you have received financial aid, this could impact your financial aid. Here are the important policies that can affect you: 

Withdraw Requirements and Procedures [LINK]
Satisfactory Academic Progress

The impact your withdrawal has on your financial aid depends on whether it is partial or full.

Partial Withdrawal

If you’re aware you need to drop a class, do so during the schedule adjustment period, otherwise known as the Add/Drop period. By dropping during this period, you’re free to add another class or get a portion of the tuition refunded.

Tips for Withdrawal
  • If you decide to withdraw from a class, it is best to initiate the withdrawal yourself to avoid being administratively withdrawn or given an F grade.
  • You will not have to repay financial aid dollars unless you withdraw from all your classes.


    Even partial withdrawals can hurt your future eligibility for financial aid. To maintain eligibility for financial aid, you’ll need to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement to complete 67% of all attempted hours.

    Full Withdrawal

    If you receive the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loan or PLUS Loan, your financial aid is earned by attending class by beyond the 60% point of each semester, or of your remaining classes.

    If you withdraw from OR stop attending all your classes, and have not attended past the 60% point, you will owe back a portion of the financial aid you received. 


    If you’re receiving federal aid (Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loan or PLUS Loan), you must attend beyond the 60% point of the semester (or your remaining classes) to earn your financial aid and not owe funds.

    If you’re receiving state financial aid, you must attend past the 35% point of the semester.

    Title IV Aid and Withdrawals

    The Department of Education specifies how Cape Fear Community College must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs covered are Federal Pell Grants, Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs).

    Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds upon completion of the period. If you withdraw during the semester, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you’ve earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by CFCC.

    The assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period. 

    Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment.

Translate »