Home / Foundation / Foundation News / Scholarships Make a Difference

Scholarships Make a Difference

Preston Lee and Jacob Aceret

From left: Second-year students, Preston Lee, and Jacob Aceret

Second-year students, Preston Lee and Jacob Aceret, were the highlight of the CFCC Foundation Donor Appreciation Event on Tuesday, February 26, 2019.

Preston Lee (left) is in his final semester at CFCC studying marketing and received the Rising Tide Scholarship. Preston and his family experienced a house fire when he was only 12 years old and that made his teen years difficult. He struggled with substance abuse and addiction until he enrolled in the Teen Challenge Recovery Program back in 2014. Since then, he moved to Wilmington and has been clean and sober for 4 years. However, right after he enrolled in CFCC to pursue a degree in marketing, his father lost his job and he could no longer afford to finish school. The Rising Tide Scholarship provided him the opportunity to enroll in all the classes he needed to graduate. Preston claims “It has been such a blessing to be at CFCC. They have done more than enough to help me along my academic journey and allow me to be confidently prepared for my future.”

Jacob Aceret (right) is also in his final semester at CFCC. He received the Cynthia and George Mitchell Foundation Scholarship. Jacob is a Marine Corps veteran and has been studying the newest technologies in the energy industry and construction management, but his GI bill did not cover all his expenses. “This scholarship has not only validated my hard work in and out of class, but it has lifted my confidence and opened doors to opportunities that would not have existed without it. It has solidified my commitment to the Wilmington community and serving others” says Jacob.

Both of these young men want to encourage other students to apply for scholarships because of the opportunities it afforded them. The scholarship cycle is now open, but only through April 30th.

Translate »