Excellence in Teaching Award
The Marilyn Goodman Anderson Endowed Award for Excellence in Teaching is awarded annually to an outstanding faculty member at CFCC. This prestigious award recognizes all aspects of excellence in teaching that foster students’ lifelong learning and success.
Nominees must be current faculty members who have taught at least three years at CFCC. Nominees may be part-time or full-time, and instructors in all departments of the College are eligible for the recognition. Nominations are accepted in the spring semester, and the recipient of MGA award is announced each year at CFCC’s August In-Service. The recipient will receive a medallion to wear at official ceremonies and a one-time stipend of $2,000.
Timeline for 2019
- March 8 – DEADLINE TO SUBMIT NOMINEES
- Week of March 11 – Nominees will be notified and asked for supporting materials
- April 18 – Supporting Materials are due
Criteria for Nomination and Selection
The following aspects of teaching at Cape Fear Community College should be considered in the nomination and selection process:
- Significant, positive impact on students lives
- Teaching philosophy
- Mastery of subject
- Student perceptions of teaching
Thank you for your 2019 nominations! We are currently vetting nominees for the award criteria and will notify eligible nominees for supporting materials.
Nominees who choose to be considered must submit a portfolio of their material for review by the selection committee. The portfolio should encompass material relevant to the Criteria for Nomination and Selection. To facilitate the review process, the material must be presented in the following order and include:
- A one-page copy of the nominee’s resume or curriculum vitae
- A maximum of one-page personal narrative discussing teaching philosophy and methodology, etc
- No more than three letters that speak to teaching excellence from students, faculty or staff
- Syllabi or other relevant materials that demonstrate classroom effectiveness can be submitted
- Department chairs must submit student evaluations for each nominee from the last three years. Nominees are responsible for requesting the evaluations
If you have any questions, please call the Foundation Office at 910-362-7207. Thank you.
Congratulations to previous Marilyn Goodman Anderson Award for Excellence in Teaching recipients!
- Peggy Lupton, Music Instructor, 2018
- Jacqui Degan, Marine Technology, 2017
- Laura Taylor, Mathematics Instructor, 2016
- Bethaney Ferguson, Sociology Instructor, 2015
- Bridget Floyd, English Instructor, 2014
- Denise Hightower, Medical Office Administration Instructor, 2013
- Stacey Tatum, Spanish Instructor, 2012
- Phil “Dr. Rocks” Garwood, Geology Instructor, 2011
- Jerry Duncan, Criminal Justice, 2010
- Steve Beuth, Marine Technology, 2009
- Joy Smoots, Biology Instructor, 2008
- Jenna Call, English Instructor, 2007
- Ben Billingsley, Art Instructor, 2006
- David Fourqurean, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2005
- Robert Sutton, Philosophy and Religion Instructor, 2004
- Karen Brown, Communication Instructor, 2003
- Cheryl Saba, English Instructor, 2002