Gas Technician Pre-Apprenticeship
The CFCC Gas Technician Pre-Apprenticeship program is located at the CFCC North Campus in Castle Hayne, NC. It is a 7-week program designed to prepare students to enter the Gas Utility field as an Apprentice. This program is a registered apprenticeship program with ApprenticeshipNC through the Department of Labor which will earn students 230 hours towards their apprenticeship once employed by a company.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, individuals employed in related job positions in the gas utility industry earn on average $28.85 per hour.
- Introduction to Natural Gas (Properties/Transmission/Distribution etc.)
- History of Operator Qualification
- OSHA 10 Construction Training *
- Heartsaver® First Aid/CPR/AED Training *
- Basic Rigging Class
- Abnormal Operating Conditions
- Basic Excavation Safety Training
- PipePlus 811 Training *
- Locate Training
- Work Zone Safety and Flagger Training *
- Tooling and Truck Set-up Training
- Basic Installation of Residential Services
- Installation of Commercial Services
- Installation of Distribution Main (4” and larger)
- CDL Theory/Behind the Wheel Training
*Denotes additional certificates earned during the program in addition to a Class A CDL Licenses with a manual & fifth wheel restriction
Mon – Fri, 8 am – 5 pm, subject to change
- Class A CDL Permit
- DOT Physical with Medical Certificate
- DOT Drug Screen (must be done within 30 days prior to the start date of class, but no later than 7 business days before class starts)
- High School Diploma, Transcript, or GED
These items will be required to be turned in prior to the start of class. Email notifications will be sent out to students.
- Textbooks (prices and ISBNs TBD)
- NCCER Curriculum and Textbook(s) will be used.
- Textbooks will be available for purchase at the North Campus Bookstore.
- Work boots – composite or steel toe