Home / Admissions / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I just want to take a class or two and don’t intend to get a degree, diploma, or certificate. What should I do?

In this case, you would apply as a non-degree seeking student. This means you are not working towards a degree, diploma or certificate. Non-degree students are not required to submit official high school or college transcripts for admission. If you plan to register for course(s) that have pre-requisite requirements, you will need to meet these requirements prior to registration. Most prerequisites can be met with approved transfer credit or testing. If you have questions regarding pre-requisite options, please contact the Registrar’s Office . In addition, non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid and are limited in the number of credits they can register for (no more than 11 credits per semester). For more information regarding non-degree enrollment steps, visit our non-degree student page .

I am a former student and wish to return. Do I need to reapply?

If you have not attended classes in the past year, you must submit a new application and be approved for admission before you will be eligible to register. If you previously submitted an official high school transcript it should still be on file. After reviewing your application, if we need additional documentation, you will be notified by Admissions. You may also need to complete or update your residency status with the Residency Determination Service (RDS) . All students are required to have a valid RDS status prior to registration.

How do I know if I qualify for in-state tuition?

Residency for tuition purposes is determined by the Residency Determination Service (RDS) for all 58 North Carolina Community Colleges. You can apply for residency at ncresidency.org . If you have questions regarding residency or your residency status, please contact RDS at 844-319-3640 or rdsinfo@ncresidency.org . If RDS has adjusted your tuition status from out-of-state to in-state, please notify CFCC by emailing residency@cfcc.edu . Please include your 10 digit RCN number and inform us that your residency status has changed.

Can I apply to get a Student Visa?

Cape Fear Community College does not issue the I-20 necessary for a student visa (F, J, Or M). Applicants with tourist visas (B) are not eligible to attend curriculum courses. If you have another visa, you may be eligible to enroll. For more information, visit the international student page .

Where do I send official high school transcripts?

Please review our transcript information page .

I graduated high school outside of the United States. What do I do?

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated and translated (if applicable), by a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services ( naces.org ) or a current member of the Association of International Credential Evaluators ( aice-eval.org ). Completed evaluations, along with copies of the original transcript(s), should be sent directly from the evaluation agency to CFCC Admissions. If the evaluation is sent directly to you, in order for it to be considered official, it must remain in the original sealed envelope. Once opened, it is no longer considered official.

If I previously attended college or earned a college degree, do you still require my high school transcript?

CFCC requires all applicants applying to degree, diploma, and certificate programs to submit an official high school or equivalency transcript for enrollment.

How do I request my GED?

To request your official GED transcript , please visit GED Testing Services. You will be able to order an official GED transcript and it will be sent to CFCC electronically.

Are ACT or SAT scores required to to be admitted?

We do not require test scores for admission. SAT or ACT scores can be used as part of course placement information. If you graduated from a US high school within the last ten years, you will be placed in entry level English and Math courses based on your unweighted high school GPA. If you graduated from a US high school more than ten years ago, you will be placed in entry level English and Math courses based on the RISE placement test or an approved testing waiver. Review more about testing and exemptions.

When should I apply?

CFCC offers rolling admissions. This means you can apply for any open start term until the semester begins. We recommend you apply early so that you have the best options for class registration and have time to complete the financial aid and orientation process.

How much does it cost?

CFCC offers an affordable education with many options to help you pay for college. This could include financial aid, grants, and scholarships; we even have a payment plan ! Please review our tuition and fees for additional information and specific costs.

I’m interested in the Career and College Promise Program (dual enrollment options for free tuition while in high school). Where should I begin?

The Career and College Promise Program is an excellent opportunity for current high school juniors and seniors. You can learn more here .

I’m interested in the health sciences? Where can I learn more about the selective enrollment process and program offerings?

Please review our Health Sciences page for additional information and details.

I’m interested in continuing education classes and programs. Do I need to submit an admissions application or complete a residency determination?

No. To register for a continuing education class or program you do not need to complete a residency determination or admissions application. Please visit our Continuing Education resources for registration guidance. If you need assistance, please contact the Continuing Education department here .
Translate »