Are you a volunteer firefighter? Do you want to prepare for a career in firefighting? The Firefighter Academy trains firefighters to be the best at what they do.
This academy is a comprehensive program that includes Firefighting I & II, Haz-Mat, Basic EMT, Emergency Vehicle Driving, Mayday/Safety and Survival skills, and other vital information necessary for future firefighters. For general information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A copy of CASAS Reading Goal of 249 or higher OR an official college transcript showing successful completion a college level English class within the past ten (10) years. For more information, go to the Placement Testing page.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by the start date of the academy.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Applicant must be a volunteer or employee of a fire department – each affiliated applicant must be sponsored by a fire department to participate in the academy. Sponsorship means that the applicant’s fire department 1) endorses the applicant to participate in the academy,
2) provides NFPA approved structural firefighting gear, and 3) shows proof that the applicant is covered by the sponsor fire department’s workers compensation insurance. If you are interested but not a member of a department, please contact us for more information. The fire department Sponsorship Form must be filled out and returned.
- Applicant must provide a letter from their sponsoring department stating that they have had a criminal records/background check from the county in which the applicant resides.
- Securing lodging is the responsibility of the student. Information will be given regarding the necessary steps for this process.
Information for Accepted Students
- Applicants will be notified by e-mail of acceptance.
- Once accepted, recruits will need to schedule a CFCC Firefighter Physical through Medac.
- Recruits will be required to provide their own textbook, Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills and Hazardous Materials Response Fourth Edition (see below).
- Recruits needing lodging during the academy should finalize arrangements.
- A mandatory orientation session will be held on the first day of the Academy that covers the expectations of the program.
CFCC Academy Uniform Requirements
Cape Fear Community College Firefighter Academy students are required to be in Academy uniform. This uniform consists of:
Black Shoes, Blue or Black BDU style pants, Gray Academy T-Shirt and/or Gray Academy sweatshirt depending on the weather. Uniform should be kept neat and clean for all classes. Shirts and Sweatshirts may be purchased at the CFCC bookstore in the McKeithan Center. See picture below:
Before classes begin students must purchase Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills and Hazardous Materials Response Fourth Edition (ISBN: 978-1-28415-133-6, approximately $125.00) and Standard First Aid, CPR, and AED 7th Edition (ISBN 978-1-28404-161-3, approximately $25.00). Both are available in the CFCC bookstore or online.