This academy is a comprehensive program that includes Firefighting I & II, Haz-Mat, Basic EMT, Emergency Vehicle Driving, Mayday/Safety and Survival skills, and other vital information necessary for future firefighters.
- Effective January 1, 2019 all students enrolling in the Firefighter Academy taught under continuing education will require an Accuplacer English Placement Test showing placement into ENG 111 OR an official college transcript showing successful completion of ENG 111 within the past five (5) years. For more information, go to the Placement Testing page.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age by the start date of the academy.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Applicant must be a volunteer or employee of a fire department – each affiliated applicant must be sponsored by a fire department to participate in the academy. Sponsorship means that the applicant’s fire department 1) endorses the applicant to participate in the academy,
2) provides NFPA approved structural firefighting gear, and 3) shows proof that the applicant is covered by the sponsor fire department’s workers compensation insurance. If you are interested but not a member of a department, please contact us for more information. The fire department Sponsorship Form must be filled out and returned.
- Applicant must provide a letter from their sponsoring department stating that they have had a criminal records/background check from the county in which the applicant resides.
- Securing lodging is the responsibility of the student. Information will be given regarding the necessary steps for this process.
- Applicants will be notified by e-mail of acceptance.
- Once accepted, recruits will need to schedule a CFCC Firefighter Physical through Medac.
- Recruits will be required to provide their own textbook, Essentials of Fire Fighting, 6th Ed. and the Essentials of Fire Fighting Course Workbook, 6th Ed. (see below).
- Recruits needing lodging during the academy should finalize arrangements.
- A mandatory orientation session will be held on the first day of the Academy that covers the expectations of the program.
CFCC Academy Uniform Requirements
Cape Fear Community College Firefighter Academy students are required to be in Academy uniform. This uniform consists of:
Black Shoes, Blue or Black BDU style pants, Gray Academy T-Shirt and/or Gray Academy sweatshirt depending on the weather. Uniform should be kept neat and clean for all classes. Shirts and Sweatshirts may be purchased at the CFCC bookstore in the McKeithan Center. See picture below: