Home / Admissions / Admissions Steps / New Students

New Students

We’re glad you’re here!

To apply to Cape Fear Community College, follow the steps below. Know that we’re here to help you along the way. Contact admissions@cfcc.edu or call 910-362-7000 . We look forward to seeing your application.

STEP 1 Complete Your Residency Determination

First, complete your North Carolina Residency Determination. This establishes whether you’ll pay in-state or out-of-state tuition. Once completed, you will be assigned a Residency Certification Number (RCN). Save this number! You’ll need it for the CFCC admission application.

We recommend you have access to the following information before you start your residency:

  • Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID
  • Tax Return Information
  • Vehicle License & Registration Information
  • Social Security Number
  • Voter Registration (if applicable)
  • Other Documents (Requested by RDS)
  • Immigration Documents (if applicable)

If you are under the age of 25, you will most likely need to complete residency with a parent or legal guardian.

Need assistance completing residency? Contact the Residency Determination Service at 844-319-3640 or rdsinfo@ncresidency.org .

Need access to a computer, scanner, or fax machine? Visit CFCC’s Enrollment Center at the downtown campus.

If your residency tuition classification changes and you need CFCC to update your student record, please email residency@cfcc.edu . Remember to include your RCN number in any correspondence.

For additional information about residency, see Residency Information .

Complete Residency Application

STEP 2 Complete Your Admissions Application

Now you’re ready to complete the official admission application!

Things to keep in mind:

  • It’s free.
  • If you need to save it and come back later, you can.
  • Once submitted, allow one week for your application to be processed.
  • If you applied within the last year, you do not need to reapply. Please contact Admissions to confirm; it’s possible you can just update your start term.
  • When completing your application, if you aren’t sure which major to select, please review our career resources and tools .

If you have questions or need assistance with the admission application, contact the Admissions Office at admissions@cfcc.edu or 910-362-7557

Complete Application

STEP 3 Submit High School Transcripts

  • You’re almost there! Now, we just need your official transcript(s).
  • If you are a current high school senior, you may submit a mid-year high school transcript for provisional admission.
  • Once your official transcript(s) is/are received and processed, you will be admitted. We will send you an acceptance letter and enrollment checklist within 5-7 days.
  • If you have earned an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university, you may submit an official college transcript with a graduation date in place of an official high school transcript. Certain academic programs, including health sciences, require an official high school transcript.
  • Note: If a student is graduating early from high school and wishes to attend CFCC for the term immediately following their completion of high school, they can be admitted provisionally and register for classes by doing the following:
    1. Apply for the upcoming semester and have a current residency determination;
    2. Submit an official in-progress high school transcript (we understand this transcript will most likely indicate a May/June graduation date and we will use the unweighted GPA on the in-progress transcript for placement purposes);
    3. Submit, on school letterhead, a letter from the school principal indicating the student’s name, date of birth, and the student’s graduation date.

The letter must be signed by the principal and can be sent as an attachment to enroll@cfcc.edu .

To qualify for provisional admission, the graduation date must be before the term begins. If a student is graduating on or after the first day of the term they should consider CCP (Dual Enrollment) options.

An official high school transcript showing graduation must be submitted as soon as it becomes available. Financial aid may not be awarded until the official transcript has been received.

How to Request Your High School Transcript

STEP 4 Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships

Newsflash: You don’t have to pay for college alone. CFCC awards thousands of scholarships each year. The first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Things to keep in mind:

  • The CFCC school Code is 005320
  • If you need help completing your FAFSA, our financial aid office is available for walk-in sessions at CFCC’s Downtown and North Campus. You can also contact your financial aid coordinator for a quick question or let them know you’re coming by!
  • Make sure you complete the correct FAFSA for when you plan to enroll:

    Plan to enroll for Correct FAFSA
    Fall 2023 2023-2024 FAFSA
    Spring 2024 2023-2024 FAFSA
    Summer 2024 2023-2024 FAFSA

Need help? Check out our step-by-step checklist !

Complete the FAFSA
Translate »