Books in Alternative Formats
CFCC Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides alternative format materials to ensure equal access to course materials for qualified students. These materials include, but are not limited to, Braille, E-Text, Audio Book/MP3, and Print Enlarging. An alternative format, when possible, is provided only for courses for which the eligible student is currently enrolled. All materials will be provided in accordance with all copyright laws and exceptions.
SAS will make every attempt to provide the desired format the student requests. However, this is not always possible due to the subject matter of the material, the volume, and the required date. Converting textbooks/print is a very time-consuming process. Some requests may take up to six weeks. All alternative textbook requests must be turned into SAS as soon as course registration is complete.
Requesting Alternative Textbooks
- Student must be registered with CFCC Student Accessibility Services.
- Student must be enrolled in the course for which the materials are being requested.
- Student must complete an Alternative Textbook Order form .
- Student (with SAS help, when necessary) must determine which format to request. Some types available are:
- E-Books — The student should first determine if the textbook requested is already available in a digital format. Textbooks in electronic format will also facilitate access to large print. More and more textbooks are being offered as E-books from the publisher.When available, E-books can be purchased through the CFCC bookstore in lieu of/or in addition to, the hard copy accesstext.org can also be used to determine where to purchase available E-books. VitalSource – This is a program where the student can rent E-books for the semester rather than purchasing.
- If the student cannot purchase an E-book, they can bring proof of their hard copy book to the SAS office, and we will work to find one through various accessibility sources. SAS can convert a hard-copy textbook into a digital copy if an E-book is unavailable from any other source. SAS will have the binding broken to scan. Pages will be returned to the student in a spiral binder. The binding will not be able to be put back on. All materials, documents, and equipment provided by SAS will be returned at the end of each academic session.
- Print Enlarging – A student who needs enlarged print is typically encouraged to purchase the E-book version of their text book, which can then be enlarged on the computer/tablet screen. Materials from instructors can be enlarged to 11×17 paper size.